Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I would put my money on a plugged water passage in the block or a upside down thermostat. F's are natorious for plugged/caked up water jackets usually around the center and rear most cylinders. 2F's started putting steam holes at the head deck to relieve dead coolant movement problem. Heater cores usually flow from bottom to top (heat rises) while radiators flow from top to bottom.

Good luck!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Thanks - I think we're going to need it.
Suppose it were a plugged passage in the block - what's the easiest way to clean it out? PLease don't tell me we have to take it out!!!!!!
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
I would put my money on a plugged water passage in the block or a upside down thermostat. F's are natorious for plugged/caked up water jackets usually around the center and rear most cylinders. 2F's started putting steam holes at the head deck to relieve dead coolant movement problem. Heater cores usually flow from bottom to top (heat rises) while radiators flow from top to bottom.

Good luck!

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74fj40
Thanks - I think we're going to need it.
Suppose it were a plugged passage in the block - what's the easiest way to clean it out? PLease don't tell me we have to take it out!!!!!!
Thanks.

OK....I won't but..........

You could try some cleaning products to loosen it and back flush it but that would be really good fortune if it worked. You could pop out a freeze plug and see how it looks. The build up usually happens at the rear half of the block where the coolant flow is the slowest. I do hope a plugged block isn't the problem but it does happen when the coolant isn't changed few years.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

sob

Quote:

You could try some cleaning products to loosen it and back flush it but that would be really good fortune if it worked. You could pop out a freeze plug and see how it looks. The build up usually happens at the rear half of the block where the coolant flow is the slowest. I do hope a plugged block isn't the problem but it does happen when the coolant isn't changed few years.

1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.

[/font]

Last edited by 74fj40; 06-25-2006 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the offer of help - trully appreciate it.
Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO
The heater comment was more about the oil cooler found on later 2F engines. You could connect it so there is no water flowing through it.

and......I don't trust most of the mechanics out there

I won't be around much for the next week or so but I could take a look at it after that. It is a lot easier to troubleshoot something if you can see and poke it a bit.

[/font]
Old 06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO
[*]missing o-ring on top of the thermostat 2Fs have them, not sure about F <snip extensive list of just about everything> ;-)
Good list Mike. FYI, missing o-ring will make it run cool when ambient temperature is low, can't make it run too hot.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
I heard that an upside down thermostate could do this. Can't remember if you can do that on a f or 2F though, been a while.
I don't think it will fit the housing upside down, but besides, it's either open or closed:
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:

Good luck!
Good idea Kevin. Both F blocks I recently stripped were REALLY blocked at the lower, rear passenger side drain hole of the water jacket. On the block I used for my build, I ended up using a drill to clear out the crud after poking and scraping with a screwdriver was ineffective. After I got a hole going with a drill, I then used the screwdriver and several other various poking-scraping implements to clear the passage. Inside, there was crud, but it will aloow free flow of coolant.

I can see the advantage to having one's block dipped.

For Max's issue, I'm not entirely sure having the lower, rear portion of the block's water jacket filled with crud would necessarily lead to coolant temps being too high. That part of the engine doesn't see nearly as much heat as the head. My guess is that it's an overall heat-shedding problem rather than a hot spot. Similar to so many improperly done V8 conversions.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:

It happens that on F engine water jacket components, the only aluminum is the t-stat housing. The water pump housing on a stock F is cast iron, unlike the aluminum housing on 2F and up. For this reason, a muriatic acid soak/flush might be feasable, inexpensive and potentially efficacious.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa

For Max's issue, I'm not entirely sure having the lower, rear portion of the block's water jacket filled with crud would necessarily lead to coolant temps being too high. That part of the engine doesn't see nearly as much heat as the head. My guess is that it's an overall heat-shedding problem rather than a hot spot. Similar to so many improperly done V8 conversions.

Who said anything about the lower portion of the block?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior