Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My Offroad Camper modification

Knowing that I have a wife and two teenagers the daughters, one of the age old reasons that they can't go camping is dead. No longer can they say they can't plug in their hairdryer or other electronic devices.

I recently bought a 4000W (surge)3500 (Steady) generator. Lots of research on RVnet.com led me to a great deal at checker auto parts for $329, It's RV ready (has socket) and it's quiet for its size. Just a little louder than one of those $1000 2000W Honda Generators. Being here and on mud, I have learned the value of forums when doing research. There is a 230+ page thread on these Chinese cloan generators and the consensus and user tests show this one is the best.

Not only will this generator power my stuff and recharge my batteries on the trail, I can power my frig, furnace, some lights and even a tv when the power goes out at home. That's another reason to get a larger generator. A 2000W would have handled all my camping needs, even if I added AC to my pop up later.

So now the question came, where to put it? One of the reasons I bought the Jayco Baja was the front storage deck, but this generator is too big to fit on the deck. Most folks would have bought a smaller generator, but with what we do, if it doesn't fit, modify it is the mantra!

So, I cut a section of the railing off and bought some Steele pipe at Home depot that would fit within the diameter of the existing railing.

I had to move my tool box over so it could fit as well.

I bent the new pip so there would be at least 6 inches within the existing pipe. I then used JB Weld and a pipe clamp (not shown in photos).

I also drilled holes in the deck and bolted the generator down with 4 bolts. The bolts will hold the generator.

So, on the Ghost Town run, feel free to bring your coffee maker, projector and whatever and you can run it off my generator. You could bring the rising sun laptop and projector and run a movie for the kids.
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Last edited by Romer; 07-06-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
Rock Stacker

Send a message via MSN to Vic stuff Send a message via Yahoo to Vic stuff

FYI a 2000 watt generator will NOT power a AC unit. it requires a 3000 watt for the 2800 watt kickdown of the ac compressor at startup of the cycle. if youve heard diffrent they are lying to ya. Trust me on that one, weve tryed it in the shop.

95 ZJ Limited - Yes its a Jeep, buit it sure does haul groceries well!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Awesome Ken, well done!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic stuff
FYI a 2000 watt generator will NOT power a AC unit. it requires a 3000 watt for the 2800 watt kickdown of the ac compressor at startup of the cycle. if youve heard diffrent they are lying to ya. Trust me on that one, weve tryed it in the shop.
are you talking about the small units that mount to the roof of a pop up? I don't plan on getting AC ever anywise even though it's pre-wired.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
are you talking about the small units that mount to the roof of a pop up? I don't plan on getting AC ever anywise even though it's pre-wired.
yes, ie a coleman mach or a duotherm they both draw 2800 watts at compressor kickdown

Old 07-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Outlaw, Scoundrel, Miscreant

Quote:
Knowing that I have a wife and two teenagers the agers, one of the age old reasons that they can't go camping is dead. No longer can they say they can't plug in their hairdryer or other electronic devices.

I recently bought a 4000W (surge)3500 (Steady) generator. Lots of research on RVnet.com led me to a great deal at checker auto parts for $329, It's RV ready (has socket) and it's quiet for its size. Just a little louder than one of those $1000 2000W Honda Generators. Being here and on mud, I have learned the value of forums when doing research. There is a 230+ page thread on these Chinese cloan generators and the consensus and user tests show this one is the best.

Not only will this generator power my stuff and recharge my batteries on the trail, I can power my frig, furnace, some lights and even a tv when the power goes out at home. That's another reason to get a larger generator. A 2000W would have handled all my camping needs, even if I added AC to my pop up later.

So now the question came, where to put it? One of the reasons I bought the Jayco Baja was the front storage deck, but this generator is too big to fit on the deck. Most folks would have bought a smaller generator, but with what we do, if it doesn't fit, modify it is the mantra!

So, I cut a section of the railing off and bought some Steele pipe at Home depot that would fit within the diameter of the existing railing.

I had to move my tool box over so it could fit as well.

I bent the new pip so there would be at least 6 inches within the existing pipe. I then used JB Weld and a pipe clamp (not shown in photos).

I also drilled holes in the deck and bolted the generator down with 4 bolts. The bolts will hold the generator.

So, on the Ghost Town run, feel free to bring your coffee maker, projector and whatever and you can run it off my generator. You could bring the rising sun laptop and projector and run a movie for the kids.
Man, could have used that yesterday, as a goose flew into the power line behind the building. We were without power for a couple hours. Turning work away

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic stuff
yes, ie a coleman mach or a duotherm they both draw 2800 watts at compressor kickdown
Well, now I know I have a big enough generator in case I change my mind and get AC. 4000 surge and 3500 steady should handle that.

Thanks Vic - Get your truck back from the police?
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Ken-

Is your generator bolted down onto the deck? I am only asking because I feel a little sketchy about JB welding the rack pipes into place.

Just wondering, looks like a nice way to camp. See you on the Ghost town run.

Drew

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

with 4 sturdy bolts as it says in the post.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Well, now I know I have a big enough generator in case I change my mind and get AC. 4000 surge and 3500 steady should handle that.

Thanks Vic - Get your truck back from the police?
Goin to pick it up in the morning tomorrow!!!!