Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 09-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Help picking a home air compressor

I recently found out I had some credit card reward points that I was unaware of... that was nice. These points equate to about $400 of gift cards that can be used at Sears, Home Depot, and or Lowes.

I have been looking into a home air compressor to run a few air tools, maybe a spray gun, and general shop/home projects. I am considering the following, a Craftsman Pro series, Engersoll Rand, and a Campbell Hausfeld.

All are roughly 3hp, 135psi max, 220v, 60 gallon vertical tanks. The Cman and CH would both be about $100 bucks out of pocket but the ER would be about $400 bucks out of pocket. Here are the links to the compressors...

Campbell Hausfeld $479

Craftsman Pro series $499

Ingersoll Rand $779

The Campbell Hausfeld has glowing reviews, the Cman... not so much. I have never heard a bad work about an Engersoll Rand, but it is WAY more expensive than the other two options.

FWIW, I will be storing this outside in a shed behind the garage and run a line into the garage to seperate the noise from the work area.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've had my Cman compressor for 8+ years and it is similar to the one pictured but red so I guess not a pro mode...I don't use it a lot but it has held up well.

It does just fine for airing up tires, running air tools, etc. I also use it to blow out my sprinkler system each year. The one negative is mine doesn't put out enough CFM to blow out the sprinklers in one shot. I have to usually let it fill up the tank twice for each sprinkler zone.

IMO a bonus with the Cman is Sears is usually pretty good about fixing stuff that goes bad...

Anyway, I'd look for one with the best CFM rating you can afford if you are planning to use a lot of air in a short period of time and need the compressor to keep stuff running even when the tank is empty.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

If you buy any of the uprights from either Lowe's or Home Depot you will be happy with them considering the price you paid. They are all campbell-hausfield as far as I know. Thats what I have and it works great. Just make sure you get one that requires oil in the crankcase versus the "oil less" ones. If you were using it commercially then it would be worth spring for the ingersoll-rand unit.

IMHO if you buy from Sears you get the same stuff you get from lowes or HD but at a higher price.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have a 20 gallon cambel hausfield I've been using for like 10 years now. It's a tank. But just dosnent have the CFM I'd like. I have Painted cars and done tones of air tools. It really sucks when you need to really hammer on something and don't have the tank reserve to keep up.

What I want. is a upright 60 gallon with max psi of 175 or higher.
I'll yell you it dosent really matter what you get, it will all work.
The larger the tank is nicer but not required. It's the CFM that counts.
If you had a huge tank but small compressor it will work great till it ran out then take for ever to air up. When you can also have a 5gallon tank with a compressor twice the size and never run out ( medaforcially ) but it will always be running.

I like the 55gal at homedepot strictly on price.
I also would get a belt drive pump. They seam to be more efficient. Most 55 + have belt drive
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Trail Ready

I was looking closely at these 60 gallon models recently and, if memory serves me correctly, the Campbell Hausfeld, Kobalt (Lowes), Husky (Home Depot) and Sanborn (Menards) were all the same.

Campbell Hausfeld is located in Harrison, Ohio and I found a Cincinnati area service center that buys their new (and under warranty) scratch and dent stock. They are advertising the 60 gallon model for $300 so I will probably snag one for my smaller building. I have a Kaeser rotary vane compressor in my bigger shop.

Not sure if you have Tractor Supply stores out there (TSC) but they have the 60 gallon Ingersoll on sale for $599 right now and the 60 gallon Campbell Hausfeld for $419.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Any reason not to choose the Campbell Hausfeld? Seems like a solid deal if I can score it for less than a $100 out of pocket.

Thanks- Drew

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

i bought from lowes ten years ago and they carried porter campbell. i've been very happy with mine. i don't use it alot per se, but i do abuse it (i finally topped off the oil for the first time two months ago...yeah, it was way low. and i've never changed the air filter)...hasn't let me down yet. it was barely under $300 then, so i'd guess under $500 now
ige tlca #1431
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

I had a 500ish dollar husky brand one at my old shop. I bet that campbell hausfield one would work just dandy. Just having a cast iron belt driven pump is nice and that one fit's the bill.
82 FJ40
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

If anyone is interested, I have a cast iron twin cylinder air compressor with 5hp electric motor, but it has no air tank. It works fine, has the mounting plate for everything, you just need an air tank to mount it on.

If anyone is interested, come look at it and make me an offer I can't refuse.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I would go with the IR for the quality. I have a Craftsman that is OK for Harry Homeowner but isn't up to pro standards. I have had to rebuild it 4x in 11 years and it doesn't make enough CFMs for sandblasting, sanding or cutting continuously. I have owned some CH air tools over the years and as they have worn out I have been replacing them with IR. The IR tools really are much higher quality so I am sure their compressor is too.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/