Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 09-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Rising Sun member

Default Broken Easy Out

D'oh! Problem 1: rusty windshield hinge bolt; Solution 1: penetrating oil, work it slow with a big Phillips, use the ratcheting mechanism on the hand drill. Problem 2: rounded off corners of said bolt; Solution 2: Easy out. Problem 3: Broken Easy Out inside of drilled hole inside of said bolt; Solution 3: can anybody fill in the blank?

Are Easy Outs made of hardened steel? Special drill bit needed to drill it out? How do you start a drill bit on a curved sheared surface? Like Matt Farr's rear axle ?
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 09-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali
D'oh! Problem 1: rusty windshield hinge bolt; Solution 1: penetrating oil, work it slow with a big Phillips, use the ratcheting mechanism on the hand drill. Problem 2: rounded off corners of said bolt; Solution 2: Easy out. Problem 3: Broken Easy Out inside of drilled hole inside of said bolt; Solution 3: can anybody fill in the blank?

Are Easy Outs made of hardened steel? Special drill bit needed to drill it out? How do you start a drill bit on a curved sheared surface? Like Matt Farr's rear axle ?
Can you slot it still and use a large straight blade driver? The key to hing bolts/screw is a impact driver with #3 phillips bit.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yes, easy outs are hard. Not really hard but hard enough to be a PITA. You might be able to thermally shock it a couple of times and get it to loosen. heat it with a torch then chill it with some water. The good thing is that since they are left hand threaded, a right hand drill bit might help twist it out. A carbide drill bit should dig into it but don't break off the carbide in the easy out.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Rising Sun member

Might have to try a couple things...slot it using...an angle grinder? Dremel? File?

Once I torch it how could I get a hold of it (sorry got no imagination)? I hope my dad has some not dull drill bits to help me out here...
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
Old 09-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I like the idea of welding a nut to what's left then rip it out with air tools
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO
I like the idea of welding a nut to what's left then rip it out with air tools
Yup, that will work so will a small bolt. The heat from the tack weld will help break the crud loose too.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Rising Sun member

Well it's kinda down in the countersunk hole already...so I don't know if you could even weld it without getting splatter to stick somewhere you don't want it...like the idea though, it would be easy.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 09-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Cutting the slot will be the easiest if it works, and it's certainly worth a try. Welding a nut on can sometimes work too. Easy outs can not be drilled out, even with carbide bits, BTDT. EDM can get them out, but you'd have to get it to an EDM machine :-(
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 09-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Rising Sun member

So that's why they say not to break them in holes? d'oh! I don't think it's worth the effort and money to EDM it, I'll get it out eventually.
Rising Sun Bio
Old 09-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default get to the back of the bolt?

It doesn't sound like it, but can you get to the back of the bolt? sometimes there is enough stuff sticking out the back and if the head is already busted off, you can screw it IN all the way through easier than you can screw it out too.

(just thinking outside the box)

Also, sometimes you can get the broken off ez out to wiggle just a little bit. That is often enough to get it to suddenly fall out of the hole. I've done it more than once with drill bits in cast iron and a couple of EZ outs. Things that looked tragic suddenly were fine.

Oh yeah, I have a crystal bolt extractor in my holistic automotive healing kit you can borrow too. Just arrange the crystals around the bolt and by the next full moon, the bolt will extract itself.

Good luck.