Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default A $2 part can cause so much grief!!

I was driving my FJ40 in to work this morning (5:30 and still dark out), when I thought I smelled antifreeze...Checked my gauge, and temp looked good, so I figured it was the car ahead. A few miles later, and gave her some throtle to get past a different vehicle and she bogged...looked over my shoulder to change lanes, and I was laying out a stream of smoke!

Checked the temp gauge again, and was pegged HOT!! I was at my exit, and got off...puled over at the first safe place, and was engulfed in smoke. I openned the hood, and saw the hose that should be connected to the radiator had come off.

Called a buddy at work, and had him tow me to the shop. Upon reconnecting, the clamp had failed, and was acting stripped...replaced the clamp, filled her up with fluid, and she sounds OK, and runs OK...but doesn't seem to have the same pep, and acceleration she previously had.

What can I check before I write these symptoms off to paranoia, and imagination? I hate to think this $2 clamp could really screw me...

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

the $2 clamp didn't screw you, you screwed yourself when you didn't pull over and investigate. when it got hot, you may have warped or cracked the head. sorry.
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

So, short of pulling the head, is there a test or way to see if that is the case? No smoke...no anti in the oil, or oil in the anti...
Old 10-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun member

just keep driving it until you find symptoms of a cracked head, blown head gasket, etc. White smoke, oil and antifreeze, antifreeze in oil, etc. You could do a cylinder leak-down test as well.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 10-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Hard Core 4+

I find I get paranoid when something like that happens... if your cooling everything again safely, then drive it for a while and see if you are messing with your own head before tearing into anything. FWIW, I had the same thing happen about 10 years ago... and didn't have any lasting damage other than a bruised ego.

No rad fluid in the oil is a good sign, watch it over the next few days and see what it does.

Sorry man, that stinks when it happens.

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well, I took it up I-70 to the buffalo...She went up the hill as always, and coolant temp stayed right on the lower end of normal operating temp (where it always stays) I put new temperature senders in as I was afraid they might have gotten tainted with the overheat...Anyway...it looks like there isn't any damage, and I may have dodged the bullet on this one. I'll keep an eye on coolant, oil, or smoke just to be sure...But I'm feeling pretty lucky this time.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

For future reference, when you think you might have done some damage. Driving up a mountain is probably not the best method to test for it.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

I had driven around town first, and decided I should challenge the engine. I definately wouldn't test by fire...
Old 10-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
the $2 clamp didn't screw you, you screwed yourself when you didn't pull over and investigate. when it got hot, you may have warped or cracked the head. sorry.
Hey lighten up on the poor guy... I've pulled over to help you before, drenched in coolant..

ok seriously, glad to hear things look ok! Keep a close eye on your coolant level for a while.. if it's leaving into the cylinders, or leaking into the oil, there will be less of it in the radiator.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 10-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Hey lighten up on the poor guy... I've pulled over to help you before, drenched in coolant..

ok seriously, glad to hear things look ok! Keep a close eye on your coolant level for a while.. if it's leaving into the cylinders, or leaking into the oil, there will be less of it in the radiator.
Oh snap...

2001 Sequoia Limited with heated seats

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili