Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default hvac people

sometime during the day, my home furnace stopped working. the fan kicks on, but it's not igniting. do we have any hvac people, or does anyone have any recommendations
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

The pilot is working correct?

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'm assuming this is natural gas? Have you confirmed your pilot light is lit? If it isn't lit, call me and I can talk you through the lighting process.

If the pilot light refuses to stay lit, the most common failure is the thermistor. This is a copper tube that sticks into the pilot light flame and senses that the pilot flame is burning. Because of this unit, you have to press the gas valve down and hold it for a minute or two when you first light the pilot. Once it heats up enough you can release the gas valve. Release it too soon and the pilot goes out.

This is a safety device so in the event the pilot light goes out it shuts the gas off. They are pretty generic and if you pull yours out (usually very simple) you can buy them at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Dirty thermocouple, Ig.
Find the thing that sticks up into the flame. Pull it out, unplug wires, shine it up with your good wire brush and stick it back in.

Randy beat me to it and has a better desc. Of lighting the pilot.

Last edited by leiniesred; 10-26-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: randy got it.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Hard Core 4+

thanks for the help. no actual pilot light. i have an hsi setup. reading on the internet and talking to someone, i think my igniter might not be getting hot enough. the guy i talked to is an hvac guy from colo4x4 and i'll call him in the morning with part numbers. he said he may have them in his truck. furnace was working during the day because the house was "warm" when i got home (i keep it set at 54 and it was 53 at 4pm). i've got a space heater for now and the new insulation helps out quite a bit.
ige tlca #1431
Old 10-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ige: My instant on furnace doesn't have a pilot light either, but it still has that thermocouple. My furnace would cycle on, but shut down after about 10 seconds...until I took that thing off and cleaned the carbon off of it. Took about 20 minutes.

Our house was 55 this morning. We haven't turned on the furnace yet this fall. I hope it starts up when we do need it!
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ige - my HSI failed to produce enough voltage to fire, and I just helped it out with a propane torch and the furnace immediately lit. The 'assembly' that contained the HSI was $250, but the ignitor piece is $14 online, so I have replaced it a few times with these cheapie ones and they last ~5 years or so before acting up. Some of those HSIs are suppose to produce 1v when hot, and 0v when cold, and you can test them with a VOM and a blowtorch.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Hard Core 4+

Ignitors are a common failure. Should be able to find one either online or at a local appliance parts store.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

My furnace has a hot ceramic element to light the gas rather than a pilot. The original design lasted several years then failed (cracked). The new design is much more stout and has lasted 15 years - although I now keep a spare on hand should it fail.

When the first one failed, it was -10F outside and the house was geeting cold. The furnace would try to start but would time out when the igniter failed to light the gas. About midnight I tried another idea. I wrapped the igniter with a loop of fine gauge steel wire. The wire acted like a fuse but before it melted, it turned white hot and lit the gas. Once the furnace was running, the igniter wasn't needed anymore. The loop of wire had turned into some drips of steel. I kept the furnace running all night and was able to get a replacement igniter the next day. YRMV
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiniesred View Post
Ige: My instant on furnace doesn't have a pilot light either, but it still has that thermocouple. My furnace would cycle on, but shut down after about 10 seconds...until I took that thing off and cleaned the carbon off of it. Took about 20 minutes.

Our house was 55 this morning. We haven't turned on the furnace yet this fall. I hope it starts up when we do need it!

X-2

trail rig
Trinidad, CO