Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Need a good home for our dog...

Our dog isn't handling our 9 month old baby as well as hoped. He gets anxious and needs a quieter home. He is a good dog, and keeps his distance from the baby, but just is going stir crazy. The baby is crawling good and will be walking very soon.

We have had him almost 5 years and think he is about 8 years old. My brother has known him since he was a puppy. Doesn't act his age as he is still full of energy and very active. He is a yellow lab mix (partial shar pei). On the smaller side for a lab at about 60 pounds. Very soft and a cuddler if you let him. Never chewed on a single piece of furniture or anything else. Doesn't get on the furniture. He is definately an inside dog who really enjoys having a dog door to spend nice days outside. He also loves just curling up in the corner and sleeping all day. He has some training for basic commands (sit, stay, etc). He is very protective of the house and won't let anyone in who we don't give permission to.

Some important things to know if you want to consider taking him. Just being as honest as possible. He is really a 1-dog household kind of guy. Doesn't socialize the best with other dogs. Our other dog (same size) laid down the law with him when we brought him home. He never challenged her. Also, he has food allergies so his food has to stay consistent and only certain stores carry it. Lastly, the one longer road trip we took with him he got sick. It is likely owner error, as I fed him just before the trip.

We have all the stuff needed for him. Collar, leash, food bowl (no water bowl as he shares one). Also is current on shots and heartworm pills.

Anyways, as much as this pains us, we hope to find a good home for him... He really deserves a good place.

Probably easiest to reach me by email or phone as I work long hours now. 3oh3-ateoh6-oh6forate (ask for Jeff)
or
jeepcj_6 at y@hoo.com
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

Sorry to hear about having to make a a choice like this. It is never easy and family has to come first. I hope that you find someone to take care of your dog. Another option that, if needed, will give the dog a life long home is www.safeharborlabrescue.org

They will put the dog in foster care until a good home is found.

Best of luck
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you can't find anyone to take your dog, you might consider MaxFund shelter in Denver. They are a no-kill shelter and people like us who adopted a dog there had to go through a screening process. If your dog is not adoptable, they will keep him for life.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

He's a handsome one. Is he bad or mean with other dogs or just shy? Ours hates little kids and isn't fond of unknown adult men so just wondering if your fella is a matter of socializing, thinking out loud.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am a big believer in socializing, but when it comes to babies, it is usually not worth the risk. On the other hand, we know an excellent animal behaviorist (non-Cesar Milan) and can provide her information if you like.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I appreciate the info from people. I tried Safe Harbor and they weren't too keen on taking him. He would have to likely be in a home with another dog. Plus being 8, they didn't think he would be very adoptable.

Honestly, he was beat before we got him. He came from a shelter, got passed through several homes, and we have had him almost 5 years. He doesn't attack anyone or threaten. He doesn't get along with other dogs though. We keep him well away from other dogs while on a leash. It isn't a big deal. Personally, he is just scared and a bit protective. He over-reacts probably more than anything. He is very protective of the house and won't let anyone in until we give permission. He even barks at us typically once when we first open the door. Tail is wagging after he realizes who we are.

In regards to the kids, he just doesn't like un-predictable behavior. You can't swing your arm anywhere over his head. He thinks he is getting hit. The baby is just starting to walk and of course is full of unpredictable movements and little screams. It scares him more than anything, so probably better without young kids. He hasn't snapped at her, or even growled. He is just scared and sort of cowers away.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just realized that I sort of painted a bad picture of our dog in the last post...

I should mention some other things. He doesn't get on any furniture, hasn't chewed a single thing in the house, doesn't beg for food at all, only eats from his own bowl, and doesn't have any accidents in the house. He just needs a quiet house to curl up in the corner in.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster

I'm sorry to hear that getting him adopted is not as easy as you might have hoped. He sounds like a good dog. It's to bad that there have been people in his life that have been less than kind to him. A couple of other resources to look at would be:
http://www.rockymountainlabrescue.com/
http://www.retrieverrescueofcolorado.com/new/
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

He has gone to my brothers house temporarily, but still looking for a permanent home. Let me know if interested. Thanks!