Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCo40 View Post
Update:
In case anyone is interested, I called the emissions ref and was informed if you live in the enhanced emissions area I could pass my 1977 fj40 2f with header and no EGR as long as I installed the air injection system.
So I promptly spent the next couple of hours installing the AI system and went to the Air Care Colorado and passed. Still runs good. I can't tell much of a difference.
Hopefully you wont hear any more of my whining about emissions
So how did you install air injection with a header in just a couple hours? That should require welding air lines to the header, etc. You must be fast if you did all that in a couple hours.

Also, as far as passing with a header, that should be no issue, there's nothing in the rules that says you can't run a header, it just says you have to have all the emissions junk that it came with, and headers usually eliminate some of that. But the ref allowing a pass with the EGR not being there confuses me. It's likely the flunkys at the test lanes wouldn't catch that it was missing, but the ref was asked the specific question. I can't see how it would be ok not to have EGR installed if the truck came with it originally.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
So how did you install air injection with a header in just a couple hours? That should require welding air lines to the header, etc. You must be fast if you did all that in a couple hours.

Also, as far as passing with a header, that should be no issue, there's nothing in the rules that says you can't run a header, it just says you have to have all the emissions junk that it came with, and headers usually eliminate some of that. But the ref allowing a pass with the EGR not being there confuses me. It's likely the flunkys at the test lanes wouldn't catch that it was missing, but the ref was asked the specific question. I can't see how it would be ok not to have EGR installed if the truck came with it originally.

The 2f has AI nozzle ports in the head. Mine had plugs from the PO. So it was a matter of remove and re-install an air injection rail, smog pump,etc.
Ref merely stated the tech will look for AI and pump if stated on the hood decal and the techs wont look for EGR. He did state however: "All stock emission components originally equipped are required at a federal level".
As far as header goes the stock exhaust manifold has a port for EGR. My header does not have one.
KD0WJN
Old 12-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Lifted

aah, been a loooong time since I've had a 2F, don't remember that. Strange, the ref effectively said you need the EGR, but they'll never notice it missing. Wouldn't have expected that.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Lifted

Default emissions...

My experience was similar...my 1976 FJ40 has a rail and air pump,
but no EGR and no carb. preheat due to the header. Last month at
the Boulder Air Care, the poor gal who works there (seems like a
miserable job...) spent a few minutes peering under the hood, but
apparently was okay with what she saw as I passed without a problem.

-Phrog
Old 01-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenCo40 View Post
Update:
In case anyone is interested, I called the emissions ref and was informed if you live in the enhanced emissions area I could pass my 1977 fj40 2f with header and no EGR as long as I installed the air injection system.
So I promptly spent the next couple of hours installing the AI system and went to the Air Care Colorado and passed. Still runs good. I can't tell much of a difference.
Hopefully you wont hear any more of my whining about emissions
In '04 when I was getting my '78 FJ45 imported and passed smog here in Colorado, I had to take it to their headquarters. The guy that was 2nd in command of the whole AIR program (PhD Chemist) took an interest in my truck and personally tested it. Guess it is a pretty cool looking truck. Anyway, he explained why EGR is not necessary at our elevation in a normally aspirated vehicle.

EGR is to prevent combustion temps from reaching the point where excess NxOx is created. We don't have enough air up here to reach that point, therefore there is no need to dilute the air/fuel mixture with spent exhaust to keep the temps down.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/