Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

um, last I heard, colorado and diesel swaps were not two things that went together for emissions.. do you have a way around this?

john (johnny) henley
Old 11-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFJ View Post
James, thanks for the info!! I was curious about the power curve, I think with the low end gearing I will be ok. How is the idle on the OM617? just thinking if I have to start in gear (low/low) on a hill, my 350 will start just fine but there is a surge as the IAC (idle air control) kicks in for the idle and you need to be ready for it. Thanks again for the response..
Sorry, no idea... For advise from REAL experts on MB try this forum: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/
Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
um, last I heard, colorado and diesel swaps were not two things that went together for emissions.. do you have a way around this?
Beater - here is a recent discussion on this subject.... sounds like it's workable:
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=16716
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
The thing to check with this engine, however is the power curve - I believe they produce most of their torque in the upper range of the curve (around 2800-3000 rpms) - good for highway cruising but the low end grunt may suffer as a result. Again, super engines - just not sure about putting it in a crawler.

Good luck -
James
Found this thread that had a link to a dyno run on a supposed stock engine:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ts-needed.html

Link to Chart

Based on that chart, the engine doesn't look like it could move much until you get it above 2500 RPM
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
It would be going in my 1970 so no problems, I have 5 year plates and no emissions.

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Found this thread that had a link to a dyno run on a supposed stock engine:

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...ts-needed.html

Link to Chart

Based on that chart, the engine doesn't look like it could move much until you get it above 2500 RPM
Yes, it would be nice to hear from someone who has been driving one of these for a while and get some feedback on performance. All I can say is that I was with Justin while he was driving his customers and it seemed to do really well at least on the trail..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Trail Ready

I just got onto this thread, sorry for the delay. As for the Merc 617 conversion we did for our customer. The motor we had in the customers truck was great on the trail, but stunk on the HWY, due to it needing an overhaul. Pros and cons to all of the diesels conversions.

Pros on the cummins 4bt...power,
Cons on the cummins 4bt...noise and you have to do an SOA for pan clearance

Pros on the merc...Top end rpms all day, upfront cost, and you dont have to lift the rig as much as the cummins.
cons...on the merc...little low end power, but can be fixed with some turbo mods and gearing, front sump pan can create problems!
Pros on toyota...great low end and good top end, HP mods can be done with turbo combo's!!!!!!
Cons, getting parts( most of the time ) and cost

But all of these motors are great. I would have a compression test done on any used diesel, just to make sure!

I love the merc, I will be putting one in a 4runner for the wife, I should get 30mpg with it!!

Stay away from the 4bt(a). its the computer controlled version used in industrial applications. Trying to get more power and adjust ability out of these is just about impossible.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I thought it was the other way around? I thought IDI was louder and DI was quieter. I believe IDI Toyota engines are the B, 3B, H, 2H, 1HZ, 1PZ, 1KZ - and the DI engines are the 13-14-15B, 12H, 1HD, 1KD, and 1VD series.
Correct. The L series are also Indirect Injected (including my 2LT-E).

The Toyota and Isuzu diesels are markedly quieter and smoother than the Cummins, and the Mercedes is more inline with the Toyota and Isuzu engines.

If I were in your shoes, I'd scrap all those plans and look for a 3B or 13BT anyway. But second to that, the Mercedes or Isuzu swaps would be pretty sweet.

I haven't had problems keeping my 2LT-E running, and Dad's 3B hasn't been on the road long enough to know what the difference in maintenance costs compared to the 2F will be. But judging from the freshening up I did on it, I suspect pretty similar. In general, I like to buy parts when I get a good deal on them, so that I have spare parts lying around, instead of having to order something on short order (which is indeed pricey).

I actually prefer an engine that doesn't make gobs of low end power, but just enough to lug along. It makes for some much nicer trail riding. If it's done right, you can shove the pedal to the floor, and the engine will still slowly accelerate as long as all of the wheels are grabbing, and not much will happen---for a few seconds. Eventually, the turbo spools up and you're suddenly making real power. I prefer a setup like this because in the faux-lux, the engine can really jump every time your foot bounces just a little on a rock or something, which makes me always a little worried about shock loading the drivetrain.

Dan
Old 11-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

Justin did not mention this in his post but when I asked him about power of the Merc at CM he said it was pretty much like a 2F.

I've drove one of proffitt's 4BT 40 series trucks at CM11 with a Toyota 5speed. The power was nice. Right where I would want it personally but it was loud and rattled like a paint shaker. Maybe an auto behind it would help. And some sound deadening would be good. But not much you can do with a soft top.

I drove a 70 series in AU with the Toyota 4.2l diesel for 3000+ KM. That was a great engine in every respect. Power, quiet, etc... But getting one here sucks. In the end though it was the nicest diesel I had ever driven. Including all the domestic 3/4 ton stuff.

I want to build my 40 with a diesel too so I've been looking a all these options in my spare time. I'm looking into more info on the new Cummins IFS engines. Spendy for sure but might be the ticket if my budget can afford it. If not I will probably go with a Toyota power plant.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Justin did not mention this in his post but when I asked him about power of the Merc at CM he said it was pretty much like a 2F.

I've drove one of proffitt's 4BT 40 series trucks at CM11 with a Toyota 5speed. The power was nice. Right where I would want it personally but it was loud and rattled like a paint shaker. Maybe an auto behind it would help. And some sound deadening would be good. But not much you can do with a soft top.

I drove a 70 series in AU with the Toyota 4.2l diesel for 3000+ KM. That was a great engine in every respect. Power, quiet, etc... But getting one here sucks. In the end though it was the nicest diesel I had ever driven. Including all the domestic 3/4 ton stuff.

I want to build my 40 with a diesel too so I've been looking a all these options in my spare time. I'm looking into more info on the new Cummins IFS engines. Spendy for sure but might be the ticket if my budget can afford it. If not I will probably go with a Toyota power plant.

I really wish Toyota or the deciding parties involved would allow the really nice diesels to be sold here in the United States, it drives me crazy to see all of these other countries get such reliable and fuel efficient vehicles..
A new Cummins would be nice but could you convert it to WVO? Think about driving behind me on the trail and smelling french fries rather than diesel.. not to mention the spendy factor..

Dan, I agree with the throttle response, my 350 is soooo touchy in low/low..

trail rig
Trinidad, CO