Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Rising Sun Member
Default Thinking out loud...

The and I are thinking about her next set of wheels.
We are not ready to do anything immediately, but I need to figure out what we are going to do for her.
Our little guy is getting bigger, and carting him and his friends, and gear around is getting harder in a small sedan.
We also plan on adding a GSD puppy to the mix sometime this year.
She is also not the "most gentle" on equipment, so something sturdy/robust/gently used would be good for her.
The majority of the use will be devoted to mundane commuting around town, but it would be great to have a rig we could bounce over to Moab in and take the whole family wheeling. The days of driving over in the 40 are done, unless I want to go by myself.

I keep thinking that maybe a 100 might be a good call, but I also wonder about the wisdom of going w/ a double Taco + topper, as the 100s out there are not getting any younger. The budget is a definite consideration, and a pickup would allow her to pick up "stuff" for yard projects and such.

It would be great to hear people's thoughts and collective wisdom. TIA.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've never quite seen the benefit of Double Cabs. The regular 6' length bed is frustratingly small sometimes and so I would expect that cutting another 1.5' off would make it virtually useless beyond functioning as a trunk that you can spray out. Or you end up always using a trailer or roof rack for Home Depot runs, which further negates the benefit of a pickup.

On the flip side, you don't quite feel like a SUV inside with the rear window right there and you lose interior storage for stuff that you might not want sliding around a pickup bed. So you put on a topper to protect the Christmas gifts and kid toys, further again limiting the functionality of the bed for bikes and you end up with a roof rack anyway.

The solution that guys who don't want to give up on the pickup is the 6' bed on the Double Cab. Which takes an already pretty long truck and makes it as nimble as a battleship on the trails and if you're doing that just get a full size pickup and be done with it. The 2nd gen Taco gets pretty lousy mileage so the hit for a Tundra (or F150 or whatever) is only a couple of MPG. One reason I went with a newer Taco is the stick shift, it wasn't a slam dunk otherwise. Even though it's only just <this> much larger on all dimensions than the mini truck and 1st gen, it feels bigger and definitely takes up more room in the garage that the jump to a full size 1/2 ton isn't as great as it once was.

So unless I was looking for an Access Cab with 6' bed I'd suggest the newest 4Runner you can afford unless you really want a truck for some reason.

BTW, my wife doesn't much care to drive our Tacoma, the seating position is fairly low and the dash and hood kinda tall, so make sure you can fit and are comfortable. Also the visibility is MUCH worse than my '91 or any of the Cruisers, so you really need to drive one. You're welcome to check ours out, we'll hook up after work or anytime really.
'91 Pickup - Imelda
'08 Tacoma TRD - Donna
'09 Kawasaki KLR650
'12 Gunnar Rockhound 29

"Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security. " --Albert Einstein
Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

We had a lot of good years in our DC Tacoma, and I think the useable space for 4 in the cab, plus tons of gear storage (with a topper) in the bed are pretty nice features for an adventure rig. We went all over the place in our truck. But the passenger area does start to get cramped as the little ones turn into mini-adults. And my wife did hate crawling around in the bed trying to find stuff - it can be a bit of a black hole. It still think it's a pretty good option given your current state.

You mention a large dog, which to me is the breaking point of a pickup. If you only have 1 kid, then it's fine (dog gets the other back seat), but if you add another kid then I think putting the dog in the truck bed isn't a great setup. It's hot, bouncy, and full of gear, which sucks for a dog over a long trip. For us, two kids + 100 lb dog meant returning to a wagon for camping trips. I do miss the versatility of the pickup, and certainly for hauling bikes (motorized or pedaled) it's good to have the bed. Dave is right, the 5' bed is small, but it's still useable for a lot of hauling.

I do like the 100 series, 4Runner or GX for what you are describing. If it's your wife's DD, she'll probably like the wagon's better for ride comfort, easy of driving, and other creature comforts.
- Matt
1976 FJ40 - green and mostly stock
1996 FZJ80 - not so stock
Old 04-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

My ex-wife had a double cab taco and it took almost all the crap she and 3 girls put it threw until she totaled it. I want one now.
Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva r.i.p. 336k
01 vw golf daily driver
Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

My has a Sequoia. Selectable 4WD with a center locker. Traction control runs in the background while in 2WD. The way, way back seats can be removed and blocked off for the dog if needed.

It's a real people mover if called upon (you could put a lot of little butts in there if needed). Long wheel base though if going off road.

Youtube has video of them in off road action...
Kurt Knudsen

1977 FJ40 "Stella"

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 PM

I drive a 2006 tundra double cab with 6' bed with camper top. It can carry a lot of stuff in the back but isn't as practical for a family hauler for reasons already stated. It does well but my vote is for the sequoia as well. My wife drives a 2008 (newer body style) and it is way more comfortable on road trips. It has room for three kids in car seats in the second row and we usually have two 80lb labs in the back. We also have a rocket box and a hitch rack. With that set up we can haul everything we need.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've recently come full circle from daily driving my 80 to letting it sit unless wheeling/camping. We are both commuting in Subarus now.

For the day to day use you describe a Highlander would be ideal but you can't wheel it.
For something you can wheel, adding the dog variable I also lean towards a wagon. (100/4R/GX)

You did. It give a budget so it's hard to push a specific rig
Speski OffRoad LTD, Cargo Solutions for Toyota 4x4's http://www.SpeskiOffRoad.com
"80 series, with a fridge"
1976 FJ40, Project with little progress.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Rising Sun Commander

GX470- still loving ours. and -1 for a DC taco- there's just something about the wagon that makes life easier- crawling in back to get a teddy bear, or tossing your jacket over the back seat, every time we've had a truck it got really cramped feeling, really fast. I found it was more room for junk/less room for passengers, which is opposite of what it should be with a family.
82 fj40, 99 uzj100, 06 gx470

05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

100, you can thank me later.
Rezarf <><
My rig... "Maude"
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks.

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 04-13-2015, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Webmaster
Send a message via AIM to Hulk

80 series for sure. Two decades old and 12 MPG. What's not to like?
Matt Farr, Centennial, Colorado | Rising Sun Webmaster
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.