Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default A transition and some sad news

As some of you know, my wife and I have never seen eye to eye on the truck projects, and over the last few months its been pretty tricky.

So, we have done a lot of talking, and I am making a change.

Baby Beast is being sold off. I'm depressed about it, and generally feel like I got punched in the gut, but to be honest, the project was going to drown us financially, and it had sucked up all my disposable income, time and some savings. Looking at numerous thousands of dollars left to complete the project to my satisfaction, we sat down and worked out a compromise:

I will continue with my 4 wheeling hobby, but it would be, for now, in a newer vehicle, with a milder build up, and no significant down time for build projects.

So, I began my hunt for what I wanted: A third generation 4runner with the 3.4L V6, a 5 speed, a rear locker, and preferably a 99 model, which came with a 1" lift over the other models, a change in the interior layout (cup holders not being over the radio, among other things).

This past week I came across exactly what I wanted: A garage kept, old lady driven 4runner that had been well maintained. It had zero rust anywhere, a clean, new looking interior, and it met my criteria: 99, locker, v6, 5 speed. In addition, it had the 5 spoke rims I prefer on this model, and a newer, IPOD ready stereo, plus privacy glass on the front windows. To boot, it is silver.

The only downfall is the 200k on the clock, but that brought the price down significantly over other good condition runners I'd seen with 40k less miles. Plus, I have a 3.4 with 100k on it sitting in my garage, so I can swap if and when I want to.

I took possesion on Wednesday.

So, while I will have to catch rides to fill my rock crawling fix, this is the better choice for my family and my earning potential for right now. I fully intend to build another late 80's toyota (my favorite body style) down the road, but for right now, I can't have that much of a money drain.

Here is my new truck:

It will remain as is until everything else is sold off, and my fleet is reduced. However, I do plan on taking it out sometime soon to stretch its legs. Once I have saved up money for parts, I'll begin a build thread, but much of the armor and mods will be things I fabricate myself.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Sweet truck! (for a mini :p) Sorry to hear about you woes Isaac. It sounds like you made some good decisions giving your criteria! If I can help....you know the drill.... You are one of the very few people I would give my keys too so if ya need a fix just ask.....hopefully, I can ride along!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Isaac, sorry to see your need to end the project, it would have turned out great! Your move to stay within your means is a tough one, but the right one! You will get your chance to build your dream truck one day.

I'd rather have a happy wife and peaceful home than a uber-bling rock crawler in the garage and an unhappy wife/stressful home life. You made the right call!

I love that 4 Runner man, it looks great!

BTW, you need to take UB up on that rig swap thing and then come pick me up and go put it through its paces!

If you need any help at all with the tear down, sell off, get something up to speed before getting it out of the garage, let me know, I am happy to help you bro!

1999 UZJ 100 Series bone stock ready to rock AKA:The backup minivan

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

My camping trailer build up thread.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Issac, looks like Rachel's truck before she modded it. She has had it 7.4 years and is still real happy with it. They perform well offroad and one of the reason's I decided IFS was not a big issue, was her following me everywhere I went with ease

The only bad thing about this generation 4 runner is the location of the oil filter. It's a real PIA and so we take it to the dealer for oil changes. Where as I change the oil in the rest of the fleet
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezarf View Post

BTW, you need to take UB up on that rig swap thing and then come pick me up and go put it through its paces!

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RIG SWAPPING? I'd rather drive a hundy and since I hate malls....thats not gonna happen....
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT RIG SWAPPING? I'd rather drive a hundy and since I hate malls....thats not gonna happen....
I drive a hundy and here are my Malls . . . I guess thats Molls
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 11-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I drive a hundy and here are my Malls . . . I guess thats Molls
'Nuff said!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks all, it was indeed the right choice. It has been hard, as building a rock crawler has been my dream for 10+ years now, but it is a game that requires money, and I was rapidly heading down a very bad road with our finances.

Happy wife happy life is definitely true, but I do believe you need your own stuff as well. Problem is, this was turning into a selfish obsession rather than a healthy hobby.

Believe me, it took me a LONG time to get to this decision, and it was very difficult. I did a lot of soul searching.

For those of you who've followed my build over the last 10 years or so know that I have put litterally 100's, and possibly thousands, of hours into both of my 1st gen runners, and dozens of cuts, brusises, bloody knuckles, several trips to the ER, and a whole lot of heart went into those hours.

The reason's for this change that finally got me going were: I have a family, and a house now. I will likely (in a few years) have children. I cannot have a hobby that has me going pay check to pay check anymore. In college, I litterally ate nothing but ramen noodles, tuna fish sandwhiches and lettuce only salads for almost two months so I could put an ARB in the front of my truck. I cannot do that anymore.

While I make more money now, it isn't enough to put the parts into my build that it needed to make it bomb proof. Making the build what it needed to be was going to break me and I can't do that with our finances.

Anyway, this has been eating me for a couple months now, thanks for listening, it feels good to rant.

Generation Dead
Old 11-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ken, yeah, my dad, brother, and mother all have trucks with this engine in it. It is a pain to change the filter, but I've found its not too bad to just turn the driver wheel all the way to the left and remove the 4 bolts holding one of the access covers in place on the inner fender and get it with a long extension on a ratchet. But you have to buy one of those toyota oil filter wrenches which only sorta work.

Certainly not something I'm looking forward to.

As for IFS, well, I've been riding that horse for a long, long time now, might as well keep on it a bit longer. I figured out how to drive it, and it has gotten me up to holy cross city, up the whales tail on chinamans gulch, and up a bunch of stuff in Moab. While I really wanted a solid axle, its going to have to wait.

Generation Dead
Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Kevin, drew, thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. I will definitely take you up on your offer kevin, but I'm also happy just to catch a passenger seat, and pull cable when needed. I look forward to hanging out watching WR do its thing.

Generation Dead