Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
I know you are a 5-speed mine's an auto but I would agree. My 4.88s didn't feel right with the old 285/75s but feel just right with my 315/75s.
Lance, what all did you have to do to get the 315's to work? I know you were among the first to go that route back in the day. I'm new to this generation, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

How is the highway ride and power (with the gears of course)?

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Lance, what all did you have to do to get the 315's to work? I know you were among the first to go that route back in the day. I'm new to this generation, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

If it's any extra help, this guy Brian on T4r.org just went to 315's. The link should be page 38 of a build thread. Post #566 starts the 315's section. Lots-o-lift & some trimming required.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post

Isaac, initially I followed Steve Schafer's (Sonoran Steel) formula for the 315s but it has morphed a bit in the last few years. Now I have Tundra coils/SS 5100-series Bilsteins up front (set for ~2" lift), 80-series coils/5100-series Bilsteins in the rear, 1.5" 4Crawler Body Lift, shaved UCAs and 315/75 Goodyear MT/Rs on 3.5" BS MT Classic II wheels. For gearing I already had 4.88s and ARBs front and rear. Steve also trimmed the wings on my T-15 to get more clearance up front and his bumper in the rear helped with clearance back there.

I had already done the standard front wheel well work on the pinch weld for the old 33s but after the next Moab trip I found I had to do more trimming on my Limited flares and pounding on the pinch weld area. I still scrub a little up front at full stuff but nothing I'm overly concerned with. I need to raise the front end a bit now since the Tundra coils have settled a little.

Coming off the Moab Rim Z-Turn is where I realized I needed a bit more clearance up front. I really stuffed the front-left and bent my quarter panel a bit.

The back was pretty good out of the box. I could stuff the wheel pretty good and scrubbed a little but nothing bad. The pic below shows the rear stuffed a bit going into Pritchett Canyon.

The power is good with the auto tranny and 4.88s pushing the 315s. On the level stuff I can hold 75mph pretty easily and pull off the line is nice. It will slow down in the hills but I'm not sure if it's the truck or me because my wife says I drive like an old woman.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Hard Core 4+

Isaac, I have a center bash plate you can have for a 6 pack of something nice. Not too hoppy or malty Plz...
Pick up in Evergreen ...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Oh, and with a sweet woman, 7 dogs, a leaky truck, a DD, and bills to pay off... I feel like a freaking billionaire.
Happy wife happy life indeed. The alternative is horrendous. If you have a wife who can BE happy, you are blessed. You made the right call Isaac.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

I can totally empathize Issac, I've had to put my Blue Raja project on hold for pretty much the last year due to money and the wife's school. It's a momentary pain for a long term happiness.

BTW I did Cliff Hanger with 18" wheels, 32" tires and no armor with that 4runner. You'll have TONS of fun.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Isaac,
sorry to hear about your project having to take a backseat for a while but that is called life and we all live it. I commend you for your responsibility and your ability to compromise, some people can't do that and it causes all kinds of problems.

You got a new toy (pun intended) and when the time is right you will once again amaze us with your strange builds

If I have a free seat you are always welcome to jump in.....................if you give me that SC 3.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Isaac,
sorry to hear about your project having to take a backseat for a while but that is called life and we all live it. I commend you for your responsibility and your ability to compromise, some people can't do that and it causes all kinds of problems.

You got a new toy (pun intended) and when the time is right you will once again amaze us with your strange builds

If I have a free seat you are always welcome to jump in.....................if you give me that SC 3.4
Thanks for the offer tom, but I'd rather keep it wheels down

And no worries on the 3.4, you can have it, for 1500. No SC though. Sold that.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wheels down? Now were is the fun in that......... No SC no 3.4. JK I can't afford it now either :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy! View Post
I can totally empathize Issac, I've had to put my Blue Raja project on hold for pretty much the last year due to money and the wife's school. It's a momentary pain for a long term happiness.

BTW I did Cliff Hanger with 18" wheels, 32" tires and no armor with that 4runner. You'll have TONS of fun.

Now THAT makes Dawson cry!!

That was a sweet runner... under a very good driver.
KDěRCH
Bio Page