Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Joining the back surgery club

Finally went to the doc after my back pain and sciatic pain was keeping me from doing, well, just about anything other than lying on the couch. X-rays and my symptoms pointed to a herniated disc, but he ordered an MRI and gave me oral steroids for the inflammation. Within a couple of hours of the first does, I was back to feeling about 90%, and it shocked me as to how much pain I had been in and how miserable I have been the last year....heck the last 2 years. I know some of you have chronic back or other issues and I don't know how you deal with it. I went back to see him after the MRI, and it is never a good sign when he asks "How you feeling?" and I said "Great! I feel good!" and he asks incredulously "Really?!?!" You can see in the MRI that I have a *real* purty L4/L5 herniated disc. He gave me some options, but surgery seems the only way for a long term solution. Luckily, it sounds like a pretty good long term fix, especially now that it is fixed I will be able to get back in the gym as well. So, best wishes for me on Friday! Should be an interesting weekend.

Timm
Attached Images

KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Trail Ready

We wish you a fast and good recovery. You'll be back in the gym in no time at all.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery Timm
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice little bulge you got growing there I would think you are getting a Microdiscectomy since your disc looks pretty healthy except for the bulge. Bummer that you got the L4/L5 curse too but they have made great strides repairing it vs. removal and fusion.

Good luck of Friday and if there is one piece of advice I can give, take it easy after your surgery because you will feel like a million bucks after the surgery thinking you can do anything you want. I pushed a little to hard and nearly messed up all the work the Doc had done.

Oh BTW welcome to the not so exclusive club nobody wants to join

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

good luck timm. sounds painfull.

wonder if i should get my back checked.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Damn, that looks scary. Best of luck, Timm.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner View Post
Nice little bulge you got growing there I would think you are getting a Microdiscectomy since your disc looks pretty healthy except for the bulge. Bummer that you got the L4/L5 curse too but they have made great strides repairing it vs. removal and fusion.

Good luck of Friday and if there is one piece of advice I can give, take it easy after your surgery because you will feel like a million bucks after the surgery thinking you can do anything you want. I pushed a little to hard and nearly messed up all the work the Doc had done.

Oh BTW welcome to the not so exclusive club nobody wants to join
Yup, you got it exactly...pretty much just cutting the bulge out of there. Thanks for the advice on after the surgery...I am sure I will be trying to do wayyyy too much too fast. Thanks everyone.

T
KDTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

Be well! Speedy recovery.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I went through that same scenario Oct 2008 and had the surgery done as well. I was about 90% until lately when I started having some issues again. I consistently over do it though, always lifting more than I should. The first surgery was a breeze, but not looking forward to the next round.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Trail Ready

Color me jealous...I wish I could have the back surgery...same deal with me, not quite as bad, at L5-S1 just one south of yours. At first they thought it was sacrum/illiac joint but did the MRI and saw it was L5/S1. I did the direct steroid lydacane (sp?) injections to both areas and it reduced the swelling enough to take the pressure off the nerve root group and return the disc to generally the original position. Did they offer to do the injections first and see where that got you? There are risks to taking material off a disc like that, namely that it can re-injure pretty easily. Think of it as a Lower Control Arm bushing where the diameter of the hole in the middle has ovalized, then you are shaving some of the material that bulged out off. Leaving less material to handle the job. Are they going to do any fusing?