Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Rising Sun Member

nope no fusing. he said that injections were not very useful on this one, same as the drugs I had been taking orally....it seemed so matter of fact I did not think of a second opinion. He gave me a pretty clean bill of health moving forward, assuming I take better care of myself, and not do anything stupid.
* 99 Saab 9-3 Convertible
* stinky old Ford Diesel tow rig
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Trail Ready

yeah, it's pretty severely herniated, not surprised they went straight for surgery as the course of action. As others have said, be careful. It's going to feel like a million bucks but you can't push it. You (and I) have to build up core strength to help that area out.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Rock Stacker

Good luch with your surgery Timm.

Ron and Deb
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Rising Sun Member

Went well...but apparently I forgot how to breathe while in recovery so they kept me overnight. Hope to go home soon. Pretty sore but leg pain is gone already!
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

Hope all is well with you Timm. Obviously you won't want me to deliver the engine hoist and cart today.

Let me know, I can hardly stuff anything bigger than a postcard in the garage, the missus has just enough space to stay out of the ice and frost and whatnot.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hope your recovery is swift and whole.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quick update, at 6 weeks post surgery I was given the green light to slowly start my usual activities, and other than an occasional pain flare (usually from coughing or sneezing) and I remarkably pain free and back to most of my usual activities, including things I have not done in a year or more. Even driving is pain free, which was NOT the case...I remember being close to tears last year driving to and from Cruise Moab, and on the trail as a trail leader during CM 2011 was hell...and I had no pain relievers or anything. I am almost back to normal, and getting back in the gym has been awesome, mentally and physically. I am very much excited about being able to wheel again, pain free!! Thanks to those who contacted me with support and kind words. I appreciated them more than you know.

Timm
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Rising Sun Member

I've been living with a similar issue for nearly 20 years, and here's what helps me.

Never, I mean NEVER stop going to the gym. If I even miss a week, I begin to feel the slippery slope, and after 2 weeks I'm starting to have real problems. The only way I can get back to working out is to take anti-inflammatories (Alleve, etc). The downside of the antiflammies is they tear your stomach up and you get heartburn that lingers.

Give up running. There's no point in it anyway unless a bear is chasing you. You can get a far better workout in less time by swimming instead.

The more strength you have in your lower back, the better. It seems counter productive, but doing lat pull downs & rows has made a world of difference in my life. You can also do the roman chair (or whatever that is called) but I couldn't start that right away.

If you have a flare up, beer actually works pretty well. There's something about the relaxing of the muscles, and the buzz numbs the pain. Like the pills though, it has a downside, so you are just trading one organ for another. I drink far more beer now than I would like to, but the pills are just unbearable and I can only handle a day or two on them before needing weeks off.

Well, glad to hear that you are doing so well. Maybe someday they will perfect the disk replacement surgery. I have looked at a couple about 3-4 years ago, and they are getting a lot better. I like the replacement idea more than the fusion, but doc says no go until I just can't cope any longer. Well, at this rate, I may avoid it until I'm 50.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

Great to hear you are doing so well. I echo the advice rutbeer gave you regarding staying active. Took a weekend off a few weeks ago and did absolutely nothing except watch TV and surf the net. Monday morning came and I was in so much pain I had to take Percs all day just to work.

Take it easy starting the workout routine and build up slowly. My best machine is the rowing machine, the one with water in a big round enclosure. The nice thing about it is that you adjust everything during the exercise, how hard you pull, use of your legs or arms etc. you get the idea.

Just get out there and be smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Resurrecting an older thread here. I've been dealing with a lower back issue for a while, it's been on and off for about 2 years. Over the last 2 weeks it's gotten to the point where I can hardly walk without unbelievable pain in my lower back (center/left side) that shoots down my butt and the back of my left leg. It's like being struck by lightening. It's not every step or in every position, but when it hits it almost drops me to my knees. Stretching/arching my back brings on the worst pain as does sitting or lying down and trying to lift my legs. I have to change position every minute to keep the pain at bay.

I already called in sick for tomorrow and I'm looking for Doctors not too far from my house. I'm in SE Aurora/Centennial. Does anyone have a recommendation?

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW