Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 12-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

If it's not too far out of your way. Not sure on the age of your kids? But I highly recommend Zion NP. It's excellent with young kids. We rode the free busses. Did some of the shorter hikes, little slot canyon stuff. The Grand Canyon on the other had was kind of a let down. Drove forever with the same scenery only to look over the edge. My kids were too young to hike anywhere that was any different than looking over the edge with 1000 other tourists. Line up to take pictures every where. The north side was closed when we tried to go. Bryce NP was great too. The San Rafael Swell has great moderate wheeling and excellent hiking. See http://climb-utah.com/ for some ideas
Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
If it's not too far out of your way. Not sure on the age of your kids? But I highly recommend Zion NP. It's excellent with young kids. We rode the free busses. Did some of the shorter hikes, little slot canyon stuff. The Grand Canyon on the other had was kind of a let down. Drove forever with the same scenery only to look over the edge. My kids were too young to hike anywhere that was any different than looking over the edge with 1000 other tourists. Line up to take pictures every where. The north side was closed when we tried to go. Bryce NP was great too. The San Rafael Swell has great moderate wheeling and excellent hiking. See http://climb-utah.com/ for some ideas
Hiking The Narrows trail in Zion is not for little kids unless they can ride on dads shoulders. I mention it because the first time I did it as a 10 year old I was beyond blown away. When my wife and I did it later in life (before kids) we were both blown away. Not our kids are big we will take them there again and be blown away again! Hard to explain the experience!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

I believe we went to Echo Canyon in Zion. Not Narrows.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure if you're still looking for input but there was a great article in Overland Journal about some backcountry camping on the North Rim. Routes looked pretty tame and I've been thinking about duplicating it. I don't have my issues handy as we've already started packing for our move but I believe it would have been published in either the Spring or Summer issues of 2011. Here's a small description that I did find.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/fo...p?topic=8528.0
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Wincher

Love the 'Canyon. May I recommend Tuweep on the North Rim?

http://g.co/maps/ujzeu

There are hundreds of miles of high desert trails out there. It can vary between very challenging and very easy. I actually got high centered on a pile of tumbleweeds once, as well as having to cross 300 yards of deeply flooded roads praying to the snorkel the whole way.

Hard to beat the view out there:

Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Indeed, Toroweap does not suck.

It's not hard core, it does not have hand rails and showers. It's a lot of wash board and is Remote. It's a little bit of proof of heaven on earth. Bring extra fuel, plenty of water and extra tire plugs. I used 3 on that trip.

Also be careful coming in at night. Consider listening to your navigator/spotter very closely... Kid and dog leashes are mandatory.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-25-2012 at 11:58 AM.