Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Pricey... I might have to put my new plasma cutter to work on my popup. Its an old Viking, but it does the job. It has a lift kit...
Your plasma cutter has a lift kit??? THIS I gotta see ;-)
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Hard Core 4+

My plasma cutter has a lift kit and 35s...
And my old Viking popup does too.
Besides, I had CruiserDan do some voodoo thingamajig and now my old Viking popup has articulation too, and a locking diff. And, now I get 45* of angle out of the 2" ballmount. And it attracts big game to camp, saving me days, days of muscle pain from chasing edible varmints all over a mountain.

It just would not do to downgrade it to one of those as-yet-unpaid-for newfangled things. I think the voodoo would make the new one's rivets dematerialize at the most inopportune time.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic stuff
Seriously looks nice, the main reason anyone at ketelsen didnt give you any more info is we can't, the trailer is not designed for "offroading" it was built in the mind that you would be going down a dirtroad and hit an occasional bump, going "offroad" technically will void some warranties. im not trying to defend our dealership, just tellin you that we are trying to cover our asses by not telling you how to take your trailer off the beaten path. trust me some of us know what it takes at the dealership to have an "offroad" trailers 1 guy has an older "Coleman Colorado" on 31" x-terrains, but he still wont take it "offroad" because he know it will be tore apart in a couple of years. Like i said we have to cover our asses and keep in mind the ability to now take it "offroad" is going to mean more basic maitenance. ie tightening screw more often, cabinets will take more of a beating, etc.
Hey Vic,
Thanks for chiming in, I guess I understand the reality of your position as the middlemen between Starcraft and the customer. No easy answers I suppose. But, it's still not fair to the consumer.

My friend for example, just bought a new Tacoma TRD and the Fleetwood E1. He's not a wheeler like I am by any means, but he gets out a lot and certainly plans to take his setup on a lot of back roads and through streams crossings etc. He will at some point keep pushing it and encounter something that could snap his coupler and leave him stranded. He was surprised to hear my speal about how a coupler was needed. So he asked the Ketelsen guys and they told him that they have never heard of such a problem and they have been in the business for many years etc.. So in his mind he doesn't think it's a problem. And if he has a problem with this he will expect Kelelsen to fix it under warranty since it is designed to go off-road. They could have just acknowledged that the trailer is capable of going over terrain that is way beyond the capabilities of the coupler and that it up to him to upgrade it. But, I suppose to your point, there are other issues and liabilities that go along with saying that.

In terms of screws coming loose when off-roading. Isn't traveling on a bumpy dirt road for 28 miles to Deep Lake in the Flat Tops much worse that flexing it off-road? People take their normal pop-up's up there all the time. With one axle, the flex and wear and tear by going slow over when off-roading doesn't seem to be an issues. Scraping the sides and ripping off the awning is the issue IMO.

So I guess, I blame Starcraft (and Fleetwood) for not addressing the potential issues in form of disclaimers or whatever and educating the Kelelsens of the world how to respond to customers regarding the capabilities and expectations of this thing.

Starcraft definitely sells this thing as an off-road trailer. I took this quote from their website.

Starcraft’s all-new RT series of folding camping trailers can go almost anywhere, from campgrounds to wilderness trails, to mountain peaks. Three main features set the RT apart: a 6” tube frame, 15” radial mud rover tires, and heavy-duty shocks, all designed to absorb bumps, provide off-road stability and rough terrain ground clearance.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Couldn't a fella just put a rotational device / coupling pivot between the trailer and the ball hitch, on the trailer tongue itself? Seems fab-able. It would allow the standard ball mount and only affect the trailer itself.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

I guess that would not handle the fore/aft of going over a very large erosion control hump or boulder. Hmmm... wheels turning... smoke rising from my ears...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well, I think this hitch is super cool, but I'm going to see how long my "stock hitch" lasts before upgrading. What we need to do is have more "camper runs" where we can all incrimentally test our limits, then drink beer for 6 hours afterwards to form hypotheses. Would be cool to video each other doing some obstacles too, I'd like to see if the trailer suspension ever actually flexes, or when it does is it just because the hitch ran out of twisty travel?

For now I'll trust my trail-fab skills enough to be able to drag a broken trailer out of whatever I get myself into, or at least snatch block it off the trail to set up camp until help arrives. And when I'm camping with just the family, I won't be going anywhere that requires any magic dashboard buttons to be depressed...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
Huh. I thought our trailers had basically the same setup. Can't you re-locate them.
Here are pictures of my hitch. I am sure I could relocate and redo some of this stuff, but it's not as simple as yours. I have surge brakes so my reservoir is in the assembly along with the sensor cable to engage the brakes should the hitch come undone.
Attached Images

11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Rock Stacker

Send a message via MSN to Vic stuff Send a message via Yahoo to Vic stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeRunner
Hey Vic,
Thanks for chiming in, I guess I understand the reality of your position as the middlemen between Starcraft and the customer. No easy answers I suppose. But, it's still not fair to the consumer.

My friend for example, just bought a new Tacoma TRD and the Fleetwood E1. He's not a wheeler like I am by any means, but he gets out a lot and certainly plans to take his setup on a lot of back roads and through streams crossings etc. He will at some point keep pushing it and encounter something that could snap his coupler and leave him stranded. He was surprised to hear my speal about how a coupler was needed. So he asked the Ketelsen guys and they told him that they have never heard of such a problem and they have been in the business for many years etc.. So in his mind he doesn't think it's a problem. And if he has a problem with this he will expect Kelelsen to fix it under warranty since it is designed to go off-road. They could have just acknowledged that the trailer is capable of going over terrain that is way beyond the capabilities of the coupler and that it up to him to upgrade it. But, I suppose to your point, there are other issues and liabilities that go along with saying that.

In terms of screws coming loose when off-roading. Isn't traveling on a bumpy dirt road for 28 miles to Deep Lake in the Flat Tops much worse that flexing it off-road? People take their normal pop-up's up there all the time. With one axle, the flex and wear and tear by going slow over when off-roading doesn't seem to be an issues. Scraping the sides and ripping off the awning is the issue IMO.

So I guess, I blame Starcraft (and Fleetwood) for not addressing the potential issues in form of disclaimers or whatever and educating the Kelelsens of the world how to respond to customers regarding the capabilities and expectations of this thing.

Starcraft definitely sells this thing as an off-road trailer. I took this quote from their website.

Starcraft’s all-new RT series of folding camping trailers can go almost anywhere, from campgrounds to wilderness trails, to mountain peaks. Three main features set the RT apart: a 6” tube frame, 15” radial mud rover tires, and heavy-duty shocks, all designed to absorb bumps, provide off-road stability and rough terrain ground clearance.

seriously the screws comin loose thing, if you actually offroaded your 10rt youre trailer will probaly be in a lot worse shape than just a few screws loose because the floor will flex with the frame, i know it sounds weird but trust me we have people bitching at us all the time that all their cabinets are coming loose from the floor, blah blah blah because al they did was run it down a dirt road for a couple of miles. if a manufacturer would actually build a trailer for its intended purpose, no one would buy em because they would be outrageously priced, lol. honestly the biggest problems with towable units is that they are towed, they are going to have little things come loose, dirt is going to get inside a little bit, THEY ARE NOT PERFECT! seriously though as long you keep up on small maintenance items, such as screws, fastners, etc. you shouldnt have any problems. keep in mind i am not telling you to go out to a tough trail and tote your trailer with ya and see how she does because im bettin you may not like the end results, but it may fare ok too, like i said. as long as youre keepin it "real" youll be just peachy! on a side note jade if ya have any probs ya wanna discuss away from the forum with your popup and would like to chat with me PM me and i can help as much as possible.

95 ZJ Limited - Yes its a Jeep, buit it sure does haul groceries well!
Old 07-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey Vic, FWIW I think it's cool you work at Kettleson's and even cooler you are up here on our forum responding to this stuff. We'll keep the camper questions & mod write-ups coming, thanks!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Send a message via MSN to Vic stuff Send a message via Yahoo to Vic stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman
Hey Vic, FWIW I think it's cool you work at Kettleson's and even cooler you are up here on our forum responding to this stuff. We'll keep the camper questions & mod write-ups coming, thanks!
no prob, just want people to understand where we have to come form for liability reasons. if anyone has questions regarding travel trailers/fifth wheels/popups lemme know ive worked on all of em, dont work on popups as much as i use to (2 years ago) but still know plenty on em. im actually certified by Fleetwood (visited the popup plant in PA 3 years ago) and RVIA
Master certified.

95 ZJ Limited - Yes its a Jeep, buit it sure does haul groceries well!