Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-04-2016, 03:45 AM
Trail Ready

Default I bent the bender: Rebuilding the shop's hydraulic tubing bender

The words bender owners never want to hear were muttered in the shop recently, "I bent the bender". Normally this involves a bent pin or two. Worse case is bending/twisting one of the main arms or breaking a die. In this case we bent the pins, arms, ram mount and the intermediate mount between the bender and the cart. Note to self: If I want to bend that thick of material, I should buy a bender rated for it...

Tubing bender in question is a JD2 model 3 powered by a custom hydraulic setup. Nothing fancy, same thing that is in most shops and personal garages. We originally put it together over 8 years ago and have abused it almost daily since. Can't remember how many times it's limits were pushed by exceeding it's stated capacity. Speaks to the quality of JD2's design. But nothing lasts forever. So besides for a few family obligations I have spent the majority of my time in the shop fixing the tubing bender this holiday weekend. Hasn't been the most pleasant of times discovering just how abused it was and how much work there is to fix things but I think it is coming out well and in the end with be a much stronger product as long as we treat it with respect...

It is never fun having to go from a fully functioning piece of money making equipment:

To this:

Upon disassembly the arms look to be in decent shape for their age and use. Though the holes do show a lot of wear and some are even galled pretty well.

But they did bend some. Almost an 1/8" from end to end. Here is a new arm on top of an old one. The pins all line up in both arms but the bolt holes won't. Check out why:

The intermediate mount also got tweaked pretty good. Both the top and bottom plates were bent.

And the ram mount, a piece of 2"x 3" x 3/16" wall tubing twisted. Over an 1/8" of twist in a 3.5" span!

Old 07-04-2016, 03:46 AM
Trail Ready

The main cart, ram, hoses, and hydraulic power supply were all still in good condition. Though I was never satisfied with the hose routing, that will be cleaned up a little. A new basic manual bender was ordered from JD2. We could have cut the arms and pins in house but for the price and time savings gained, purchasing the kit was our best option. Here are the new arms as the arrived:

Fabed up a new intermediate mount. This one is slightly narrower and both the top and bottom plates are thicker. Also added a gusset across the entire back length of the top plate. The tubing between the plates was enlarged from 3"x3" to 4"x4" and a gusset was added toward the side where the bender attaches. And more material was added along the top plate to add more support for the bottom arm of the bender. We will drill and tap the plate and bottom arm to securely fasten them together. This should be a major improvement over the original design as it will help keep the bottom arm from wanting to twist or bend under load. We kept a clamp in this same spot in our original one, this is a much cleaner way to accomplish the same thing.

The mount and bottom arm attached:

Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 AM
Trail Ready

Started working on the ram mount. Put a 1" hole through 1" thick metal:

Milled a 1" hole through opposing sides of a piece of 2"x3"x1/4" wall tubing, then welded the spacer into it. Then capped the end of the tubing.

Then welded the 1" thick ram mount onto the tubing and added a gusset behind it.

And then started assembling the bender to get the needed measurements to finish the rest of the ram mount:

Cut the bottom hinge out of the old ram mount and cleaned it up and then mounted it onto the cart:

Old 07-04-2016, 03:54 AM
Trail Ready

Added in the vertical support leg for the ram mount:

The added the diagonal gusset between the two:

Then welded it solid, let it cool. Attached the mount to the cart and checked it's range of motion. Swings freely:

Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

that is a most impressive rebuild. thanks for sharing that!

97 DR650, 05 525EXC, 01 XT225, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90, 07 CRF50

www.gamiviti.com

Old 07-04-2016, 09:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

yea that was cool
Old 07-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Nice weld quality!
Old 07-05-2016, 12:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

I've been contemplating converting my jd2 to air/hydraulic, this is a cool build.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 07-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Trail Ready

Thanks for the kind words everyone.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:50 AM
Trail Ready

Bent a retaining strap for the ram. Had just been using tie wire before and this seemed like a much more elegant solution.

Then trimmed it to length:

Since the ram is thicker than the tubing, I added a couple spacers to make up the difference, and welded them into position. Then drilled the strap and the tubing and then tapped the tubing. Used stainless hardware to finish it out:

With the last of the holes drilling into the tubing, all the metal chips and shavings were emptied out and the end of the rectangular tubing is capped and sanded smooth:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8b...=w1024-h576-no