Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 07:39 PM
Wincher

Default Denver Assault Runner Build

This is a thread I thought some would enjoy of my build of my 4runner daily driver. I had a camry before.
Here is a pic of the last camry I owned. It ran good and was enjoyable to drive as far as Camrys go.
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-09-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:52 PM
Wincher

I found a sr5 sport for 3400, needed a rear differential. Had a Rev tek spacer lift and kyb shocks and struts, it rode really well actually. It had new tires, and offset aftermarket wheels, no locker. I got a used differential for it.
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-09-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Wincher

As I drove the black one, I really wanted the little extra comfort of the limited models. They aren't much more money, so back on Craigs I went. I found a lady selling a stock black and gold limited 1999. It had a locker, but the lady had no idea what it was. Discreetly on the test drive I engaged it to see if it worked. Picked this gem up for 4500 with 190k. Leather driver seat was torn, but it was clean, and just had the tbeltand water pump done.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Wincher

So now I had the options I wanted in the limited, power leather, locker was a plus, automatic climate control, and nicer interior trim. The goal is to have a good driver to handle the majority of conditions Colorado dishes out. I really didn't want to do much for offroad mods on the runner as I wanted decent Street manners and comfort. Since I decided the sr5 wasn't quite what I wanted, I sold it. But I loved the exterior sport package, so I decided to do some parts swapping...
So here she is, the sr5 with the sport trim stripped and limited trim swapped. I also swapped the wheels and tires before I sold it. I had to swap the whole doors, bumpers, flares, hood, and hatch, and door panels. Then I sold the sr5 and made a fair chunk on it.
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-09-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Wincher

And here is the limited with the sr5 sport trim. More work than I thought swapping the parts around. I found some factory running boards on Craigs, so I picked those up. I like running boards on it because they really protect the body from rock chips, and keep a lot of road crap off the sides. I found a set of bilsteins on Craigs, the front now rides really nice. The rear is a little stiff, not sure if that's typical with bilsteins. Part of me wants to lift it to have a stance similar to the sr5, but it handles nice at this height. And it's easy for people to get into.
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-09-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Wincher

I found a charger on Craigslist so i port and polished the manifold and compressor. Here is one pic of me in the process of Port and polishing the compressor, and the charger back together...
Attached Images

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-09-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Wincher

On eBay a guy makes seat covers for these leather seats for a fair price, so I recovered the driver seat. It's naugahyde so it's not real leather.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Looks like a great build for what you've got in it, I like the SR5 on Limited approach a lot. I bet is was a ton of work with the door swap. Are the interior door panels different, did you have to swap door interior/electrical etc one door at a time?

Enjoy it!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
Looks like a great build for what you've got in it, I like the SR5 on Limited approach a lot. I bet is was a ton of work with the door swap. Are the interior door panels different, did you have to swap door interior/electrical etc one door at a time?

Enjoy it!
Thanks Man! The SR5 had leather as well, but its a slightly different shade of tan and design. They still match the limited interior, but the limited door panels were in better shape. Overall it was time consuming, the rear bumper especially is a pain to take off as its lots of pieces. The hardest part was the limited trim has plastic molding over the rockers, with that removed their is a half a dozen square holes in the rockers. So I had to find a way around that and to cover the holes. The doors are actually pretty easy to take off, and so is the wiring. I would say that if someone wanted to take their doors off for summer driving, it probably takes an hour if you have a helper.

Last edited by White Stripe; 06-11-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Wincher

I had strawberry milkshake happen to the transmission, so I went to performance radiator and picked up a new radiator. Had to flush the transmission with like 20 some odd quarts of atf to get it cleaned out.
Attached Images