Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Thinking About An 80 or LX 450

We are thinking about a new ride for the in 2012

The old Camry is getting, well, old.

We were talking about possibly replacing it. When I asked her what she would like to look at for possible replacements, she said she'd like an 80 so we could road trip in comfort to do some family caliber camping/wheeling.

I am thinking that she might like some of the blingy touches of an LX as opposed to an 80. I am thinking a clean, light colored, mildly built, locked LX or 80.

We are not ready to pull the trigger on a new ride yet, but I wanted to solicit the collective RS mind about what to look for/at when considering this platform.

I imagine there maybe different threads already in exisitence on this topic, so feel free to point me in that direction if there are some good resources that I should consider. I guess this means that I have to read Root's Ptarmigan thread!

Please share the good, the bad, the ugly! Any observations about this platform that would help us make up our mind that this is the right ride for the and my little guy would be most appreciated!

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to 74fj40 Send a message via MSN to 74fj40

Before you know it your going to be selling your 40, just like the rest of them!

1997 Honda civic DX( all stock DD)
1972 Toyota FJ40(4" lift, FJ60 axles, FJ60 4speed with split case, 35's, Detroit locker rear, Lockright front, Marlin Highsteer, 105"WB, Saginaw with GM tilt column, soon to have: 30spline longfields, inners/outters, toybox.
1967 Porsche 912(100% stock)

[/font]
Old 12-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The reason the hundy guys wont respond to this thread is because he still owns a 40!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Yeah, he's probably right. If you're looking for comfort over capability, the 100 series is seriously worth a look.

If you do buy an 80 (and I love mine, but it ain't a comfort ride anymore), my first piece of advice would be to walk away from any that don't have the factory lockers. Just. Walk. Away. My second piece of advice would be to focus on 1995-1997 model years in case you want to add a supercharger at some point.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Hard Core 4+

If its going to be a family rig first, buy a 100. Its getting harder to find nice 80's for that kind of duty. Plus the 100 will make a nicer DD anyway. That said I still love my 80 and don't plan to give it up any time soon. By then 200's will be affordable
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

TJ,

Will you be towing anything on a regular basis? If so, I'd suggest looking at the 100 series because honestly the 80/LX450 is a gutless wonder - unless you SC them that is.

As for the 80 vs. the LX - Honestly there isn't that much difference. The LX has the body cladding which some like and some hate. The LX has softer leather, upgraded stereo (stock form anyway), CD changer, auto climate control, a different grille and headlight shape, and that is about it. The Anniversary Edition (AE) 80 series and I think the Collectors Edition (CE) have the auto climate control as well. That said, the auto climate control isn't really much to write home about.

In stock form the 80 will get about 12mpg around town and maybe 16 on the highway. My LX450 gets 10-12mpg in mixed driving. So gas mileage is pretty much crappy

I'd suggest having the drive the 80 series and the 100 series...I wouldn't rule out the '97 and older Sequoias either if your plans won't envolve serious wheeling.

Lots of threads on MUD and here etc. on the differences between the various years of the 80 and 100 series. Slee has a nice write up on his site. IMO on the 80 series I'd look for a '95-'97. On the 100 series, it becomes more of a budget issue...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Uncle Ben's right, get a 100 series.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Wincher

Finding an 80 or daily driver duty is kinda tough now days because they all seem to be high mileage. I thought about it myself, but... even though it's a Land Cruiser, I just don't like the idea of taking long trips in something with 250,000 miles on it.

I say 100 series too. Stay away from the Lexus 100 though, it's got a face only a diehard could love

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD
Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

I guess this is the current trend on the forum - all about the 100's.

Regardless of 80 or 100, if it's a DD you're probably going to be interesting as low a mileage rig you can find that has a good supply of history and maintenance records. A truck with 180k and a good history is probably better than something with 130k and an unknown maintenance schedule. For an 80, some things you'll want to look for:

- good maintenance of the cooling system. Blue fan clutch upgrade
- front axle rebuild history/leaky knuckles (just like a 40, 55 or 60)
- oil leaks on the front of the block or at the oil pan
- PHH (pesky heater hose) condition. Swollen, cracked or leaking?
- Rust issues underneath or on tail gate or hatch
- Paint on hood and roof fading and deteriorating
- interior leather cracked, hard, ripped
- 3rd row seats?
- Head gasket replaced?

The 80 has no head rest in the middle seat and only a lap belt, so if you use it as a kid hauler that might be an issue. Both of the 3rd row seats have head rests and lap belts. Sliding rear windows are very popular with the canines

That should get you started on some things...
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Good stuff you all, I appreciate it.
I did venture into the (gasp) 80 section on MUD and found some links.

I hear the comments about go for the 100 series. Can you all give me some reference points on what pricepoints to expect for a decent 80 vs. 100?

Budget is an issue unfortunately, so I am not sure about going for a 100.

One other rig that catches my eye is the Excursion, PowerStroke. Newer than the 80, power, and could tow the 40 or 55 to some wheeling while holding a bunch of camping crap. Any thoughts on this idea?

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!