Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Wincher

Default Questions for the FJ40 guys

Digging into the FJ40 and I have a few (newb) questions for you guys. Mine is a 1971 3 speed on the column. In picture 1 below, can you tell me what this circled lever is for? Am I missing a knob or anything here?
In picture 2, Can you tell me what the 3 circled controls are for? And in pic 3, I know this hose if for the rear heater (which is missing). Is this something that can easily/cheaply be found? Is the rear heater really needed? I hear the front units are strong if properly serviced. If I'm not going to hook one up, is there any reason not to get rid of this big hose? And finally, what function does the hose behind the passenger seat in pic 4 perform? This was cut and I don't see what it was there for. As always, thats for the help!
Tom
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver4run View Post
Digging into the FJ40 and I have a few (newb) questions for you guys. Mine is a 1971 3 speed on the column. In picture 1 below, can you tell me what this circled lever is for? Am I missing a knob or anything here?
You are missing a knob. This is the 4wd acutation knob. When pulled out it will activate a vacuum switch that engages the front.

Quote:
In picture 2, Can you tell me what the 3 circled controls are for?
The slot to the rigth of the Choke is where a hand throttle control would go. The knob under the Hazard switch activates a fresh air vent; basically brings in fresh air from the grate on the passenger side into the heater blower - nice for defogging. I don't what the third circle (farthest to the right is) but I don't think I have it in my 71.

Quote:
And in pic 3, I know this hose if for the rear heater (which is missing). Is this something that can easily/cheaply be found? Is the rear heater really needed? I hear the front units are strong if properly serviced. If I'm not going to hook one up, is there any reason not to get rid of this big hose?
If your not looking to do a factory restoration, heater hose is heater hose. Yes it is releatively cheap and can be picked up at any parts store. I use my rear heater, but would probably be fine without it. If you are not going to have a rear heater, there is no need to run the line back there with such a big loop.

Quote:
And finally, what function does the hose behind the passenger seat in pic 4 perform? This was cut and I don't see what it was there for. As always, thats for the help!
Tom
This is a hose that goes to an emissions venting tank that is installed in the back of the split between the seats.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Wincher

Thanks Ricardo!
Is that hose for the emissions venting tank something I should reattach?

So, to fully engage the 4WD, I pull the lever circled in white towards me, then pull the one circled in red out towards me, correct? Also, I would need to lock the hubs of course. Is that the complete process?
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Thanks Ricardo!
Is that hose for the emissions venting tank something I should reattach?
That is a good question and not an easy one to address without understanding the fuel tank setup/venting that you already have. If everything is running fine, I'd not worry about it.

Quote:
So, to fully engage the 4WD, I pull the lever circled in white towards me, then pull the one circled in red out towards me, correct? Also, I would need to lock the hubs of course. Is that the complete process?
To activate 4WD you pull the red-circle knob out. You will be in 4WD High. The white-circle handle is used to move the transfer case between High and Low. White-cicle handle has three positions;
  1. Pushed in (closest to the firewall) = Transfer case in High
  2. Pulled back a knotch = Transfer case in neutral; no power to any wheels
  3. Pulled out (furthest from the firewall) = Transfer case in Low
If your mechanism is still "stock", you will find that if you pull the white-circle handle out towards you it will activate the red-circle handle; basically designed so that anytime you have the transfer case in low gear then 4WD is activated. Mine is still stock and at somepoint I will probably modify it so that I can have 2WD low - though I'm not sure why I would ever need it.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941

Last edited by RicardoJM; 12-22-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Low is different than neutral
Old 12-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

How about an exterior pic? Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Wincher

Better ones coming once the snow goes away. The diamond plate is now gone and the body is not too bad, a few hack patch jobs, but nothing that can't be fixed. All floors are very solid. My hardtop needs some attention, the fiberglass is seperating from the edge, been reading up on what this will involve. The PO put ambi doors on the back and relocated and welded the hinges. I think it may work ok with some adjustments, but wondering would it be hard/expensive to find a set of the orig style back doors/hatch that went with the 71? I was hoping to take this rig back to stock but not sure if that is a good plan for this one. The PO cut the rear fender panels, hench the ugly flares.
Attached Images

Last edited by denver4run; 12-22-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add
Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Looks good, Thanks. What is your big picture plan? Restore? Build a trail rig? Somewhere in the middle? Keeping it on 33's? Keeping the Hard top on in the summer? Does it have seats? I had good luck using Isuzu trooper seats in my '78. Cool project. Good luck
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Wincher

It's got all it's seats, they just need recovered. I'll probably take the hard top off in the summer and try to restore it. The 33's are brand new from the PO so I'll be keeping them for now but I'd prefer it was on a stock suspension with original steels all around. So if anyone is interested in trading.... let me know. But I guess that wouldn't look right unless the cut fenders were fixed.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun member

-Looks like you have an aftermarket fuse panel installed.
-I didn't know there was ever a 4wd mechanism like what is shown in your picture - I thought they went from the big-lever-on-the-dash-style to the on-floor style. But Ricardo would know since he has a '71 as well
-Also, it looks like you have a later style front heater, if I'm getting my facts straight.
-My rear heater was a big disappointment when I installed it - I have to put my hand pretty much on it to feel that it's doing anything. My front does a lot more, and it needs a rebuild because it's got leaky seams and stuff. Just trace that hose back to the firewall and figure out a way to make a shorter bypass.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
-Looks like you have an aftermarket fuse panel installed.
-I didn't know there was ever a 4wd mechanism like what is shown in your picture - I thought they went from the big-lever-on-the-dash-style to the on-floor style. But Ricardo would know since he has a '71 as well
-Also, it looks like you have a later style front heater, if I'm getting my facts straight.
-My rear heater was a big disappointment when I installed it - I have to put my hand pretty much on it to feel that it's doing anything. My front does a lot more, and it needs a rebuild because it's got leaky seams and stuff. Just trace that hose back to the firewall and figure out a way to make a shorter bypass.

I agree, looks like a later model heat unit.

You both need to do the 15 passenger van heater mod under the front seat instead of the stock rear heater.

'85 FJ60