Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bummer. Rest well Isaac. Take it easy longer than you think you should.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
ouch.. and you drove home? Hope your doin better.
No, I couldn't put even an ounce of pressure on it without extreme pain, let alone the stiff clutch in my 4runner. Ben drove me down.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks all for the well wishes!

Generation Dead
Old 01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

How are you going to drive now? Swap vehicles with Nat?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

Man Isaac that is not what I wanted to hear. I heard you got hurt but was hoping for the best maybe just a sprain (I guess that could be worse actually) But then again no cutting so that is good. Next time call me I always have some anti pain stuff laying around, prescription too Anyway take care of the leg and try to keep the spirits up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yes, take care Isaac. I am still on crutch/ crutches and will be for the next month. No fun, but better than the alternate. Ask you Ortho for the temp handicap placard. It will make life a bit easier when getting around.

good luck
Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Holy cow man!!! Sounds like it was pretty painful I can't imagine.

PLEASE let me know if you need anything. I can help out with whatever...

Hopefully you heal quickly!
82 FJ40
Old 01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks all for the well wishes!

UB, I still have the corolla, so I'm driving that. I got some friends to drive my truck back up here to Bailey, so its all good. Just needs to be washed.

The Saga continues.

First, the ER thing.

I got to the ER with the full expectation of waiting many hours to be seen. Its an ER, and thats just the way it is. We went to Denver Health (formerly Denver General) as that was the closest one on the list of "approved" providers.

My friends wheel me in through a wheel chair, where we all go through a metal detector, have to empty our pockets of everything, and they confiscate knives, lighters, guns, etc.... Luckily, I'd left my knife in the truck.

The waiting room is filled with lots of people, about half of whom are homeless, just looking for a place to stay warm, so they make up issues, and come chill in the waiting room while they wait to get processed and turned away. Normally, I'd say "good for them" they are just trying to stay warm. However, when they are the ones delaying your admittance, I admit, I became a lot less understanding.

Anyway, sitting in the waiting room, waiting for my wife, and suddenly the whole area begins to hear a very personal conversation going on between a patient and an admitting nurse. Everyone begins to look around, and we realize that the admitting nurse has some how left her phone on the line for the overhead loud speakers in the waiting room. We got to hear every detail of the issues a guy was having with his rectum.

I finally get in to see the admitting nurse, who, of course, removes my boot and sock. At first, everything looks just fine. Within 5 minutes, my ankle is the size of a baseball. The nurse says, "oh, I guess we should have put the boot back on sooner. I'm sorry". Meanwhile, the swelling is causing my foot to start throbbing.

After this, its a bit more waiting in the waiting room, I get taken back to get an xray and then spend an hour sitting there waiting for the results. The doctor comes in, clearly in a bad mood, and says, "its just a sprain, here is an air splint, go home and take some advil, you'll be fine."

So, at this point, I'm relieved that it seems to be okay, pissed at the doctor's attitude, and dead tired, not to mention starving. I crutch my way out to the cars in the parking garage, where I get a call: "Ah, sorry, but we had the actual radiologist look at your leg, and it is broken. You can come back at your convenience and we can see what we can do".

I told them that I wasn't coming back another time, so they could get me back in right then.

I get inside, and they tell me that its going to be many hours of waiting, until they can get an orthopedist in to see me. So, I send Natalie up to Bailey to feed my parents dogs, and deal with everything. I get put back in the ER, in a different area, and they start to hook me up.

Now, at the intake, and again with the doctors on the first intake, and again on the second (so that is 3 separate times) I told them that I have a Latex allergy. They put a bracelet on me that said "Latex Allergy". I was wearing this bracelet at the time I was brought back into the ER.

They hook me up to the machines, and within 5 minutes, my entire hand is bright red, with splotches and a burning/itching rash. I call to the nurse, who looks at it, and then looks me right in the eye, and says, not joking here, "Do you have a Latex allergy?"

I couldn't believe it. So I said "yes" and held up my wrist so he could inspect the bracelet that clearly said "latex allergy". "Sorry about that, let me get you a non-latex sensor," he said, "but keep that one on for just a bit, as we need to keep track of you."

10 minutes later, the rash is getting worse, so I yank the sensor off, which sets off alarms, and the nurse comes in and says, "Oh, sorry, I totally forgot about that other sensor. I'll be back". He returns in a few minutes with nothing, and finally says, "oh well, I guess we just won't monitor you.".

After about another half hour, the radiologist and orthopedist come in, order me another xray, check it out, and give me the news, followed by, "this is a clean, but very obvious break. I'm not sure how the other doctor missed it." I thought to myself, "well, maybe if that other doctor hadn't been such a witch with a b and cared about what she was doing for half a minute, I wouldn't have this issue".

So, I wait for a bit more, while they are getting discharge stuff ready, etc... While that is going on, the cops bring a guy out from another room who got seriously messed up on Cocaine at a new Years party, and had been in the ER for 23 hours. As he is being shuffled past my room, he starts to urinate, which results in him getting sent back to his hospital bed, so they can clean him up, dress him, and where they find more cocaine. Not sure where he had it hidden, but the dude only wearing a hosptial gown when I saw him. Yikes!

Anyway, I get discharged way sooner than expected, which would have been good, but my wife is still an hour or more out, and has now been 12 hours since I had anything to eat. I finally say "screw it", and crutch 3 blocks to a burger king, which is supposed to be open 24 hours. Well, the DRIVE THRU is open 24 hours, so again, I'm so hungry, tired, pissed and hurting, I crutch up to the window, bang on it, hand the guy my credit card and tell him I want a burger.

In the mean time, some cars pull up. The first of which is an civic filled to the brim with very drunk girls, who start yelling:

"Hey, just because you are homeless, doesn't mean you can just WALK through a DRIVE through!"

"Are we going to get our food in 2012? Are we going to get our food sometime?"

"Hello? they aren't going to feed you bum!"

Ordinarily, that would have irritated me, but I was so out of it, I just laughed to myself, got my burger, and crutched back to the hospital.

Fast forward to Yesterday, January SECOND, 2012. I have a busy day trying to organize things that got left in disarray, that I thought wouldn't be a big deal when I left to go wheeling. Now everything takes forever.

At about 7:30, my brother's dog Xoe shows up at the back door, and has a 6" long, 5" wide hole in her side. My first thought is that there is a lion or coyote out because foxes don't usually mess with stuff that is bigger than they are.

So, Natalie and I begin to get stuff ready to take Xoe to the emergency vet hospital. After a trip there and a nice tab, she has been sewn back up, and is doing okay.

The vet said she ran into something, as this was a puncture wound consistent with a sprinting dog hitting an unseen stick at the wrong angle.

Regardless, 2012 has gotten off to a very rough start.

Generation Dead
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Damn! Quite the story! I bet others who rear the Denver Post would enjoy hearing that tale! The way you were treated I would definatly spread the word!

I soooo look forward to having a beer with you next year and laughing about this New Years....it will be funny then but now it's just unbelievable! I guess that's why we pay the big bucks so that we can be humiliated by our trusted caregivers.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

Wow! What an ordeal. The silver linings: it was a good clean break and will heal quickly, and that stock Runner of yours wheeled real nicely! I hope your NewYear goes only upward from here on.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"