Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Land Cruiser is the most expensive one on the list, that makes it the best.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've got an idea - drop the Land Cruiser 200 from the US market, and only sell the LX570 with IFS/IRS. Who cares - it's a Lexus and is for the Escalade crowd.

Repurpose the "Land Cruiser" badge to the 70 series platform only, and sell a 76 GXL wagon to the market. Maybe bring in a SWB version as well, and a work mate to sell in the commercial space.

Brilliant.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

So a decked out 76 GXL is the same price as a 200 series with all the options ~ 71,000 Aus. Would you (or anyone else) buy a 76 for 75,000 USD?

Scott Brady's article compares its market appeal to the Jeep, but even the 4dr Unlimited Rubicon is way under that price point.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
great link!!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
So a decked out 76 GXL is the same price as a 200 series with all the options ~ 71,000 Aus. Would you (or anyone else) buy a 76 for 75,000 USD?

Scott Brady's article compares its market appeal to the Jeep, but even the 4dr Unlimited Rubicon is way under that price point.
yeah but the 79 with a fortuner engine is only 30k
118,650.00 SAR = 31,640.00 USD
http://www.toyota.com.sa/en/modelspr...sp?model_id=18

I'm starting to think the AUS tariffs are as high as the US.

Toyota could sell alot of 79's if they wanted. All the farm trucks, fleet, mining, gas, oil, etc. not to mention the small segment that wants a true offroader. Look at the FJCruiser. Toyota was only going to sell it for 3 years to the us market only. Now 7 years or whatever later it's still being sold and it's sold in a lot of other markets like aus, mid east, etc.

IMHO Toyota used to be a leader and innovator. Now they follow the market and try to give the mass what they think they want vs offering a new segment. They don't operate under the same principles that got them to where they are now. nature of the business.

Their cars and suvs are now all Small (rav4), Medium(highlander), Large(sequoia) and XL (landcruiser). :meh:
TLCA#4180
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Rising Sun member

a 76 GXL would compete with the 4runner, so that wouldn't work for the US market unfortunately.

I think the problem with diesel in the states is the ULSD. I don't think other countries have ULSD (could be wrong), but it is a serious design challenge with regards to injection pumps.

So you combine those two and you get no alternate body style diesel Land Cruiser in the US
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
yeah but the 79 with a fortuner engine is only 30k
118,650.00 SAR = 31,640.00 USD
http://www.toyota.com.sa/en/modelspr...sp?model_id=18

I'm starting to think the AUS tariffs are as high as the US.

Toyota could sell alot of 79's if they wanted. All the farm trucks, fleet, mining, gas, oil, etc. not to mention the small segment that wants a true offroader. Look at the FJCruiser. Toyota was only going to sell it for 3 years to the us market only. Now 7 years or whatever later it's still being sold and it's sold in a lot of other markets like aus, mid east, etc.

IMHO Toyota used to be a leader and innovator. Now they follow the market and try to give the mass what they think they want vs offering a new segment. They don't operate under the same principles that got them to where they are now. nature of the business.

Their cars and suvs are now all Small (rav4), Medium(highlander), Large(sequoia) and XL (landcruiser). :meh:

I would seriously purchase a 79 series right off the showroom floor if they were US legal! The only other brand new car in todays market I want is a Z06 Vette and I just can't justify that much money on a 2 seater yet. Maybe for my 60th Birthday!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
I would seriously purchase a 79 series right off the showroom floor if they were US legal! The only other brand new car in todays market I want is a Z06 Vette and I just can't justify that much money on a 2 seater yet. Maybe for my 60th Birthday!
x2

I was at the Chevy dealer looking at what my new company car was going to be and I stopped in my tracks to look at the vettes...

I got to drive a vette in the late 80s and it was a total blast..I can only imagine what they are like today.

I wonder about Toyota's 70 series becoming more of a reality here though, after reading Scott's article, thanks UB..

If they follow the masses like Wes says, why would they want to get their tails kicked by Jeep selling over a 120K of Wranglers?? You would think they would look at that and want to grab some of that business..The visibility in the FJC and 5th Gen 4runner are horrible and while they want you to believe they are competitors for that market space they just don;t compare the practicality (SFA) and visibility of a Jeep Rubicon. But the 76 Wagon sure would compete, imo.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I think the problem with diesel in the states is the ULSD. I don't think other countries have ULSD (could be wrong), but it is a serious design challenge with regards to injection pumps.
The rest of the world was all ULSD probably 10 years before us. Europeans couldn't sell the latest cars here because of it. Just about every modern country was ULSD before us.
TLCA#4180
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I knew I liked Scott Brady. well said, thanks for that link!

www.gamiviti.com