Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM
Rock Stacker

Default My wife assumes I can fix it...

I used to get props whenever I fixed an issue with the 60, now my wife assumes i can fix it, and it shouldn't take more than an hour or two....

Yesterday she walked in and told me I needed to replace the clutch in our Subaru tomorrow. (Of course there alternator on the 60 went out on the way to get the Hanes manual, happy new year). Knock on wood, the one thing I haven't done on my truck is the clutch. I pushed the Subaru, and drove it to work while I waited on my alternator.

The symptoms... All of a sudden a squeal started when the clutch was depressed. After my drive to work, the squeal turned into more of a slight grind and getting it into gear got tough, but not impossible. Like any responsible 60 owner( daily driver) I carry a AAA membership, so had the subaru towed back to my house.

BTW...its a 2009 impreza, w/ 90k

I was convinced the throwout bearing had failed based on my Google search. And I have been prepping for a clutch job. But now the tow truck driver, who drove the car a bit today, and my buddy think its the slave cylinder...any input appreciated.

Steven
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm not very familiar with the new stuff, but I've seen the clutch fork pivot penetrate the stamped metal fork of old. It starts out as stress cracking, and clutch disengagement become worse and worse.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Call Mike at S-Wings Stuff
1200 S Bannock St, Denver, CO 80223
(303) 777-8658
http://www.swingsauto.com/

Old40Dog and I know him well and he has a Subaru Shop.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

On a '99 Subaru I had, the cast alum. snout on the transmission was badly worn at 60K and it had a stainless steel 'repair sleeve' installed on it. I doubt the slave cylinder (very easy to access) would cause your noise issues, but it might cause engagement issues. You could also have a combination of a bad slave cyl. and iffy throwout bearing. I suspect pulling the trans will be the only way to really see what's going on.

You might take it to a Subaru shop for a parking lot drive-and-listen session and get their guess as to what is wrong.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Rock Stacker

Thanks to all for replies...I agree that I will likely have to pull the tranny. It looks like I will have to pull this job off myself, I'm still playing catch up from the holidays!!!$$$ Ive got the car home now, so I think I'm going to pull/check the slave cylinder and replace if necessary ($25) and two bolts. If that doesnt do it order the clutch kit and get busy wrenching.
I was hoping to hear..."its the slave cylinder"

Thanks again.

Maybe after this I will replace the clutch in the cruiser, and take care of that pesky oil leak!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

I started fixing cars when I lived in Breck 1991-2 and had no money to pay someone else. That was a 1983 Subaru. Exhaust, oil pump gaskets, dizzy. Was able to use the lift at the town shop. Good times!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I started fixing cars when I lived in Breck 1991-2 and had no money to pay someone else. That was a 1983 Subaru. Exhaust, oil pump gaskets, dizzy. Was able to use the lift at the town shop. Good times!
Good to know! I'm lucky enough to live in summit co. & have a garage. So here I go!