Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Temporary antenna ideas?

Once we move, I'd like to set up a radio at the house. That's something I had meant to do here in SD but never got around to it. We'll be renting for a few months while we look for something permanent and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on possible antennas? Maybe an Elk dual band? I'm considering picking up either a Yaesu 857 or 897 so that I can have an HF radio at the house and in the truck.

I need to start studying for my general...
Old 01-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Arrow J-Pole or make a di-pole

I have an Arrow J-pole attached to an old broom handle bungied to my fence. I take it down during lightning storms (not grounded to earth). I like that antenna because I can take it down easily and even bring it with me in case I want a good antenna for my HT.

It's a dual band, but I'm just running my FT-2900 on it in my garage. You might want to make a di-pole to stick in the attic or in a tree outside - barely noticeable.

HTH
Old 01-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just 2m and 70cm for now or do you want to support HF?

Do you have any idea what potential mounts you have available, such as flat areas, hand rails, etc?

Cheapest, easiest solution if you can is a mag mount dual band stuck on a A/C or swamp cooler or a metal end table on a deck. Next idea would be a clamp-on mount, maybe to a railing or fence.

If you want to do HF I'd probably do a screwdriver. In your case with the 857/897 I'd give the Yaesu ATAS-120 a shot. I have one of those that I used on my truck, they work fine and being an SO-239 type mount you can rig up something easily.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I'd like to get into HF. Finding time to study for the upgrade has been a bit difficult but I've got about 15 hours in a plane coming up.