Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Lets get ready for CM 2012!

Alright, it's 2012 and we've already kicked off the wheeling season with the Snow & Pizza Run. Now we need to start thinking about CM 2012! The main event is less than 5 months away and the pre-run is coming up in March.

In the past, one of the main preparatory events was the wheel bearing packing party. That is always great fun but the club seems to have evolved where not too many rigs need just their wheel bearings repacked. Instead we see lots of requests at that event for other, sometimes major work like suspension mods, bumper installs, etc. It's usually a challenge to try and squeeze all of that work into 1 day with limited access to lifts, etc.

So, I would like to propose that we plan 1 weekend per month until CM12 focused on getting rigs ready for Moab. I am willing to make my shop available for this purpose. I have 3 heated bays and 1 lift. I also have plenty of floor jacks and jack stands if needed for the other 2 bays. I also have a mig welder, plasma cutter, tranny jack and just about every other tool needed to work on cruisers except for a tube bender.

Let me know what level of interest there is for doing this. I would propose we prioritize vehicles that will be going to CM12, but if there is enough space anyone else is welcome too.

THERE IS AN ADDED BENEFIT: If you bring your vehicle to one of these wrenching sessions, you can get it inspected for CM12 in advance! This will save you a little time at CM12 and give you a chance to discover any defects while still having time to fix them.

If you are going to work on your vehicle here I have a few simple requests: bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast.

Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I'm sure we will be able to get additional experienced folks to pitch in and help for some of the more advanced work.

Let me know what level of interest there is for this and what type of work you are interested in doing. This is not intended to replace the wheel bearing packing party but to supplement it for folks that need more advanced work done.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Great idea Randy. Thanks for setting this up.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

Randy, this is very generous of you. I think it'd allow people to get a look at their rigs, wheel them a bit, then fix what they know needs work at that point. Something some of us have the resources to do but not all.

Depending on the weekend I'd be more than willing to head down there for a weekend or two to help folks out and play trucks.
82 FJ40
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Good form Randy!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

I plan on getting ready the night before
Old 01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
I plan on getting ready the night before
That is the ussual plan.

Thanks Randy for doing this. And as many know already, Randy's shop is equiped for just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Very generous of you, Randy!
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow Randy. Thank you for offering up your shop. I might be able to come down and offer Jeep Mechanic wrenching tips to go along with the Ford mechanic wrenching tips. I'll watch for the exact date and try to help out.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

You're the man, Randy!! I wonder if there'll be any whiz-bang gear-setup folks in attendance who could help me swap over to a front high pinion setup, and school me in the process?

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaldedDog View Post
You're the man, Randy!! I wonder if there'll be any whiz-bang gear-setup folks in attendance who could help me swap over to a front high pinion setup, and school me in the process?

Mark
Oh yeah, we can do that any time. Why, we could even let Sascha and Ricardo do it. They have been through the initial training course.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang