Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Rising Sun member

Oops, sorry Dave, didn't read your whole post. I thought you were leaning towards a 2L swap at first, but it's clear you're not. I know Dan frets a little about the head gasket, and I know that definitely is bothersome in my mind as well.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Dave is correct, though the R151F is the strongest you can get. Just so happens I have one. The R150 is going to be your best bet if you don't want mine. Strong, common, and has a newer syncro design that makes it shift easier.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Hard Core 4+

Another option if someone wants the relative ease of adapting and geared t-case of the W56 is to have Marlin build a W56HD, which is closer to equivalent to a R150F and probably good enough in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The R150 is superior to any G or W series tranny simply because of the 5th gear bearing issue (the R uses a bearing on each side of 5th, where the G and W only have a single bearing supporting 5th). The R transmission uses a larger diameter shafts, larger gears and heavier case, so even a W56HD isn't close to the same as an R150, but at least the bearings and input shaft are close and W56 have lived behind mild small blocks if you don't abuse them.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Dave is correct, though the R151F is the strongest you can get. Just so happens I have one. The R150 is going to be your best bet if you don't want mine. Strong, common, and has a newer syncro design that makes it shift easier.
I run an R151 behind my blown 5VZ in the Chili. It is a fine tranny but... that big heavy first gear makes shifting... leisurely, shall we say? It's OK but there have been times when I have thought VERY seriously about adding some stinky Ford Friction Modifier to the trans oil. This is even with MT-90.

AFAIK, the R151 and R150 are internally the same actually... aside from the newer synchros which are DEFINITELY worth it. Feels like a whole different transmission. It is more than the synchro design itself, because I used the newest R151/150 synchros I could find when I rebuilt mine.

If you found a 151 rear case and adapted that to a newer R150 you'd have a sweet config that would bolt right up to a gear transfer case. Good luck finding what you need though **. The V6 adapter plate from Marlin or A&A will get you where you need to be.

If I had it to do over again, I would have unhesitatingly gone with a newer R150 over the older R151/R150 design.

**caveat: I have not heard of this being done successfully, but certainly noted the similarity when overhauling my 151 and the thought bounced around my cranium like an unfortunately aimed .22LR. Probably with the same effect, if you consult some people.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys!!! I really appreciate the input as always!!

trail rig
Trinidad, CO