Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Opinion on Where to Run Chains

Anyone have an opinion on whether to put chains on the front or back. I don't use them that often (actually, only once) but it got pretty icy on the trail this weekend and threw them on to see how they would do. I have a set of four but shared my other set and only put on two.

For reference, I have an FJ40 that is locked in the rear. I have a SBC 350 (which decreases weight in the front vs a 2F. I do have the soft top on but have a 22 gal auxiliary tank in the back that I usually run full. Plus I usually carry 100 lbs of gear in the back when I wheel so both of those more than compensate for the weight lost in running the soft top.

Anyway, I ran them in the front this weekend thinking they would help bust through some of the drifts and keep some traction on the front tires. They seemed to do pretty good but was curious what the rest of you have experienced. I certainly see the logic in putting them on the locked rear tires.

Thanks,

Justin
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.

Last edited by Bruiser; 01-22-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

I can't comment, I have never used them. My opinion is a good set of mud terrains lowered to 10psi works wonders.

97 LX450
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Fronts will do you more good on the trail. Chains work good on ice and snow you can touch bottom in. Brady is spot on.....a aired down mud tire will take you a lot further on deep snow. If the snow is crystalline (like sugar) nothing works but momentum.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

On my 40 I like them on all 4 tires. I went with just the front for a awhile, but for an extra $80 it was a lot better on all 4 corners.

'85 FJ60
Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun member

If you have them on the front, you are better able to steer. If you're going up or down steep hills, it is best to have them on the uphill set of tires to prevent the high end from spinning around and passing the low end.

Brady, I know your approach works great when you have big, wide tires, but some of us are constrained by small, skinny tires, u-bolt plates that hang down, etc. At least for the time being.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Fronts have always worked good for my 40 when plowing but I did break an axel. However, the air down this past weekend was awesome in the 80.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
If you have them on the front, you are better able to steer. If you're going up or down steep hills, it is best to have them on the uphill set of tires to prevent the high end from spinning around and passing the low end.

Brady, I know your approach works great when you have big, wide tires, but some of us are constrained by small, skinny tires, u-bolt plates that hang down, etc. At least for the time being.
You should take lessons from Papa Root! His open/open 40 on 9.50 at's barefoot will keep up with the big dogs all day long!

If your rear is trying to pass your front get your foot off the brake and DRIVE!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Brady is spot on.....

97 LX450
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

If you go down a hill slowly with only front chains, your rear end will come around. If you're towing a trailer full of elk hunting gear, it'll come out even faster. Not something I'd ever want to have happen twice.

Since most backcountry areas are hilly (up and down), I'd sure put them on all 4. I'd also carry two spare chains for when you lose one. Chaining up all 4 in mud/snow is a big pain in the neck, but it's fun when you're all dialed in and 'wheeling.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

If you're on the trail and only have 2 chains, I put them in front whether going up or down a hill. If you go slow enough you shouldn't have any concerns about swapping ends even on steep downhills. Of course it's more than twice better if you have them on all four.

Driving on pavement with only 2, put them in the rear as you will typically be going at faster speeds and end swapping is a distinct possibility. Plus it is much safer with them in the rear if you pull a trailer. Depending on the size/weight of the trailer and how icey it is, I have actually put my second set of chains on the rear axle of the trailer. Running drag chains will keep the trailer from coming around and adds a lot to your stopping ability assuming the trailer axles have brakes too.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang