Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Radio's

Ham is best if you have it, makes life a whole ton easier when you can hear someone with out static.
Alas if you only have a CB then we will figure it out.

But you must have one or the other. FSR while nice in some way, is not what is required to be on any run for Cruise Moab. If you do not have any radio, Please let me know, we may be able to round up a hand held CB for the short duration of this trip.

If you have not looked into a ham radio and licence before. I recommend it, you will have enough time to get a licence and a radio.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
... Also, the BLM prefers we urinate on the dirt road, where there is no vegetation vs. walking off trail to the farthest bush.
Water those tires!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
-You will want to bring about a gallon of drinking water per day, as a rule of thumb. Doubt you will need that much but we often run into folks on the trail that are under prepared when it comes to drinking water.
Two years ago, Nathan and I were in Moab for some training with Bill Burke and I forgot all about how much water I was drinking. Needless to say, I got put it my place rather quickly when I started getting cranky. It's really easy to underestimate the water thing … so it's better to be looking at it, than for it.

Same goes for fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Stupid Canadian question, as I've heard all these stories about Utah and it's weird "dry" laws, but can you buy booze somewhere, once inside its state lines?
As a fellow Canuck, let me URGE you to bring booze to Utah. It is either WAY MORE expensive than you think or WAY LESS potent than you're used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
… Anyhow, booze is best bought in a different state and packed in such a manor that it can not be seen. While booze is around to buy, it is through a state run agency and taxed rather heavily. Except the 3.2 beer that can be around in some stores…
Robbie speaks the truth. Luckily last year there was at least one guy that worked for a Colorado brewery that brought a "few" samples. The Colorado stuff is pretty great and will be a lot more in line with what you're probably familiar.

Hope you guys do this run again next year as my jealousy level is rising as CruiseMoab approaches. I'll have to settle with doing just the day runs this year and hopefully rejoin you guys for CruiseMoab 2013!

White '98 TRD Extended Cab
ARB Front Bumper, T-Max 9000lb Winch, Lightforce Striker 170s, YotaFab Custom Rear Bumper
IVD Coilovers, TC UCAs & Spindle Gussets, Deaver Leaf Springs, Bilstein 5125s
Tacoma Manual Hub Swap, Tundra S13WE Calliper and Rotors, Brembo Rear Drums, SS Brake Lines
35x12.5 BFG MTs, 4.88 Gears, ARB Front Locker, TRD Rear Locker
Painted, Fenders Cut and Bed Bobbed.

CT4WD Team - "See you on the trails!"

Last edited by Doc McCoy; 02-06-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Changed warn to URGE
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpig View Post
Radio's

Ham is best if you have it, makes life a whole ton easier when you can hear someone with out static.
Alas if you only have a CB then we will figure it out.

But you must have one or the other. FSR while nice in some way, is not what is required to be on any run for Cruise Moab. If you do not have any radio, Please let me know, we may be able to round up a hand held CB for the short duration of this trip.

If you have not looked into a ham radio and licence before. I recommend it, you will have enough time to get a licence and a radio.
Interesting, never considered ham radio for the trail. I'll start looking into this. Any model recommendations for the vehicle?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Rising Sun Member

Most in our club have Yaseu but a few of us have ICOM. Those are the two most widely used. I would get a basic unit, single band. The cost is better. Check the Blue Room or our HAM sub-category for radio ideas and install locations.

When I had my FJC, I mounted the HAM right up between the visors.. Great location. You can slide a block of wood between the headliner with Gorilla glue and then mount the HAM to the wood the next day.

Another option is to get a hand held HAM to start with, Less expensive in most cases and you can get a magnet antenna to place on top of the roof.

You have to take the test and get a call sign. You can look up the local testing locations in your area, via ARRL and their website should have a link to take the free test. You can take it as many times as you want.

Hope this helps
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Interesting, never considered ham radio for the trail. I'll start looking into this. Any model recommendations for the vehicle?
Ryan, A couple of us in BCC will be taking the Test soon (info in our forum or PM me). I have a handheld FT-270R. You may want to consider a handheld first before installing something permanent. Even with the reduced wattage and non-ideal antenna it smokes CB for range and clarity.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5270.html
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey Jon,

When is that class? I 'm also interested.
2007 BMW G650X
Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 PM

Default Ham Test Online.....

IMHO this is the best way to study for the ham tests.

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Aric, Ryan you guys should come to the local ham club meetings.

http://www.k0rv.org/

The club would even provide you with loaner radios until you can get your own.

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Wincher

Thanks for all the study and equipment recommendations guys. How often do they run the testing? I won't be able to make it down this weekend.

Any word on when we might see final trail assignments for Cruise Moab?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Ryan, the next Ski County Amateur Radio Club SCARC Meeting is March 10th from 10am to 1pm at the US Bank next to Safeway, testing is after the meeting around 11:30-12:00. They also meet every Tuesday at Village Inn at 8am and you can arrange to take the test then. The monthly meetings are informative and fun, and you get to meet some real "Elmers" who love to mentor new HAM radio operators. The club also has surplus gear that you can borrow until you get your own.

Gary-
TLCA# 20189
AC0UZ
1984 Proffitts TLC FJ60