Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Considering a 40

I've been thinking about buying a 40 for the past couple of years. Don't want one that's someone elses idea of done. Don't want a multi-year project. Don't want to deal with a lot of rust. Prefer 76+ in the old khaki or red/white color. I don't know 40s at all, but I'm thinking about this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGI...item33705ed510

For those of you who know what you're looking at; do any red flags jump out at you? It's a 79, 3 spd, no power anything and drum brakes. That's kinda odd from what little I know about 40s for the year.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

The newish paint and rusted floorboards throw up flags. Drum brakes on a 79? Disks were standard '76 on. The 3 speed seems odd too as why would Afghanistan spec use an older trans. Aftermarket wire harness scares me without seeing the quality of the install and where is the smog equipment?
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

No smog and no seat belts. He says it's from the Stan originally. Missing some knobs on dash, rear jump seats are supposed to be larger than norm. No idea what norm is. Hole in floor, but no rust other than that on the rear tire carrier. Some other goofy stuff. What bothers me is I know the wolves have been on this and apparently passed. I'm just trying to figure out why.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
No smog and no seat belts. He says it's from the Stan originally. Missing some knobs on dash, rear jump seats are supposed to be larger than norm. No idea what norm is. Hole in floor, but no rust other than that on the rear tire carrier. Some other goofy stuff. What bothers me is I know the wolves have been on this and apparently passed. I'm just trying to figure out why.
It's expensive and to get it the way you want it it's gonna cost a bunch more. Can't speak for you but personally I wouldn't touch it.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior
Old 01-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

There are plenty of good 40's locally (I assume you're in CO?) I wouldn't buy one unless I could crawl all around it, drive it, etc. And buying sight unseen and paying Ebay premiums I wouldn't do. Also, if drum brakes and 3 speed aren't a turn-off (not for me!) then why not consider an older 40 too? I wouldn't limit myself to later 40's just to get a 2F, 4 speed, disk brakes, ambulance doors, etc.. Just look for a relatively clean one that hasn't been molested and runs well.

Good luck!
KDGWM
Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

man, that thing look like a mess.

I can't believe it got to that price.

square bezel, ambi doors have rounded bottoms, mismatched brakes and tranny for the year. Seems like it was cobbled up using lots of old parts. And it looks like it has a lot of rust under all that new paint...

like martin says, i'd buy something you can touch, feel, and drive.
82 FJ40
Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Wincher

There is a 40 here in the Springs I have been drooling over, Everyone has a different idea of what a 40 should be, not sure what you're looking for but I'd be happy to take some pictures for you. I think it's a '75 or '76 with original paint, and much less rust than the ebay cruiser you're looking at. It has a carb'd Chevy 350, with a chevy manual tranny, I think 5 speed, stock transfer case. Very clean install. nice rear tire carrier, good 35's on black modern aluminum wheels. real nice front bumper with brand new 9500 warn winch. high lift jack.

Guy wants 10K for it, I bet he would take less. I would love to offer him 8,500, but I already have a cruiser. I know for some the chevy engine is a deal breaker.

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD
Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

I really don't care for the discs or power anything. My 66 IH Sportop doesn't have any of that, but it is a four speed. I do want that and the ambi doors. I've been looking for a while now and it's hard to find one like you described. I've seen them pop up for sale one day and be gone the next.

I think I'll pass, but this is what I'm looking for. A decent driver I can put some elbow grease into and make my own. I really want this color. There was one a member sold on ebay not long ago that I liked a lot too. I'm not in CO, so I didn't have a chance to check it out. Looked nice though. I'm not interested in a v8 conversion. Putting an American motor in a 40 is a sin.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Where'd all the knobs go? Weird.

Is the fact that its an overseas model appealing, or do you just want a beige mid-70's model? Other than the color as a limiting factor, I think you can find what you want in due time. Mine was an ebay failure (didn't sell at auction), and I ended up staying in touch with the guy until he met my price.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny Cruiser View Post
I'm not in CO, so I didn't have a chance to check it out.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Cruisers are superior