Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Trail Ready

Default Horn Doesn't Work!

Okay, I have power to the horn, when i connect straight wired to the horn from the battery, the horn works. It just when I mash on the steering wheel that it doesn't? Don't know if there is a fuse or relay between the steering wheel and the horn? Any advice would be great! 88 Toy Pickup...

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Wincher

There should be a contact ring under the steering wheel, and a tab that is mounted to the steering wheel that connects to it, that's how it was on my '83. Can't imagine they changed it too much. The contact ring gets gunked up, and the tab is probably worn out from all the steering wheel revolutions. On my '83, I just removed the steering wheel and cleaned the ring, then if the tab is not too worn out, bend it outward so it makes better contact. The horn in my '88 pickup only works when the wheel is upside down, I'm just too lazy to take the wheel off and fix it. If all else fails, roll down the window and yell... or use your finger

-'88 pickup - Daily driver, AAL's, 285's, ARB bumper, Warn winch, all around cool rig.
-'01 cherokee - 6" Long arm'd, 285's, ARB bumper, custom roof rack, electric locked D30, auto locked 8.8, trussed-plated-fortified.
-'12 Jeep JK - 2" lift, Skid Row skidplates, OR fab bumper

KFWD