Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 AM
Rock Stacker

Default ARB Compressor Won't Shut off

Used my ARB compressor (CKMA12/24) to air up a neighbors flat tire. This compressor is pretty new. Used on several runs only. Problem is that when I was done with filing the tire the compressor would not shut off. Switch in the cab did nothing. Only way to shut the compressor off was to disconnect the power supply to it. Both the front and rear air locker switches were in the off position. So all switches in the off position. Thinking that maybe the pressure switch may be defective. Is there an easy answer to this problem?
Will get out there this morning with a soap/water solution and see if I can get any leaks around the compressor fittings. Just can't imagine that this unit would start leaking after being installed for a year and not having a problem until now.
Doug
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAA&dur=6378

not a great diagram, but I ma thinking that the relay should function to shut off the compressor. If the switch powers it off it should stop even if the pressure switch is still saying go.

See if pulling the relay does anything, maybe it is sticking? They aren't too expensive at the parts stores.... I have had several go bad, but they usually go bad in the open position and wont work for me..

Unplug the compressor power wires so you can work with the system engerzied but it won't keep pumping
82 FJ40
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Maybe just see if that relay has 12 volts at the dark blue wire. If not then the Pins for the Red and red/white wires should NOT have continuity.
82 FJ40
Old 01-29-2012, 11:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

Everything Marco said and tap the relay a little. I have had mine stick on my E-locker set up anad tapping them got me home. Replaced them after and all was well, either way not a bad idea to carry one or two extra relays, I do.
Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Rock Stacker

First, thanks for the quick replay and the helpful suggestions. Looks like it could be the relay. Managed to pull it out and it had some corrosion on the female connection extending into the housing of the relay. Looks like this connection is a natural site for water collection. Will see if I can get a new relay in a few days....maybe a couple of them.
Doug
Old 01-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

Just curious, are these relays, kind of generic and available where?
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
Just curious, are these relays, kind of generic and available where?
Pretty much, I got mine at Checker's. I just took mine in so we could match it up. I am not the best electrical person to give you info but I have been able to pull one from my lights to use on my lockers. I am sure somebody will give you a better answer or the Google search

One thing I do know is that a spare is a good thing DAMHIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, they are the same basic relays that are use for light kits and stuff from the major stores. Should be able to find them most places....

here's a common source, the first several on the list would work:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
82 FJ40
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Rock Stacker

Hey Rover67! You were right on! I had time at lunch today to run by NAPA and get a relay. (AR143 for $12.18). Bingo, plugged it in, plugged the power wires back together at the compressor. Compressor didn't come on...a good sign. Flipped the compressor switch in the cab and we have power! Thanks Marco, I would still be messing around looking for an air line leak without your input.
Doug
Old 02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

The Bosch Mini-B (0 332 019 or V23234 type) relay is literally everywhere. The quality varies very widely depending on who made it since they are copied extensively. They might all look the same but they sure as heck all aren't built the same.

I personally get real Tyco or Robert Bosch branded ones, they are available at most distributors (Digikey, Mouser) or suppliers (Waytek). I've seen made in Germany, Portugal or Mexico on them. Tyco guarantees them for around 125K to 250K switch cycles under load. It depends on the load type, resistive loads are easier on them compared to inductive loads like a motor. They usually cost about $5 or $6 online.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler