Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Lifted

Default Engo winch...

Found this on the local CL:
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2800637119.html

Does anyone have first hand experience with these winches!? Looks like a good solid 12K lb piece of equipment at a decent price.

Thx,
James
Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Seems like it would be worth a try for the price. That's 1/4 of the price of a Warn 12,000 lb winch.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Seems like more and more "less expensive" winches are becoming available and I wonder if many aren't the same make, just rebadged by the various sellers

Two schools of thought for me...The "you get what you pay for it" line of thinking and the "you are paying for a name brand" line of thinking.

Not much on the web about that winch - a couple hits on a Jeep forum where one guy thought it was good and another guy that got stranded and had to walk back to civilization after his Engo gave up...Last post from that guy indicated that he thinks the solenoids went out but nothing conclusive.

Many of us bought the cheap Edgestar fridges some time ago and for some they are still working and for others they were junk...Compared to most of the Engel and ARB etc. fridge reviews the Edgestar only wins on price up front but if it dies you are out the $$ even with a warranty as some discovered.

On the flip side, if a winch will mostly be a bumper ornament then go the less expensive route and use some of the savings to maybe buy a backup plan (i.e. a come-along) should the winch fail when you really need it.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Lifted

Good analysis - thank you!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Lifted

engo is a cheap winch that beat out a warn on pulling power and didnt fry, good article in 4wheeler article was winch shoot out from prob 4 months ago?
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

That one got pretty good reviews in the 4Wheeler article but you have to take it for whats its worth. There is a group buy going on MUD right now for them too. http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marke...-shipping.html

It looks a lot like my old T-Max that pulled really hard. But I had two failures with my T-Max. The first I got fixed for free. (Broken End housing) But the 2nd time they were out of business and I could not get parts. (solenoid failure). Overall I really like the T-max until it broke.

I replaced it with a used Warn M12000. My thought was Warn will still be around if this one ever has issues. Just my experience and .02
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Hard Core 4+

lots of folks buying the cheap winches and they're fine for occasional use but...seems like every one I see in use is incredibly slow and struggles with most loads. You get what you pay for with winches imo

I've got a Warn 9.5 XP, best winch I've ever owned. When you need a fast reliable pull when someone is upside down or in a precarious spot you don't really think about what you spent.