Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

yep - mooch off of dad.

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd say the only guarantee you have is your scholarship. And knowing how you are able to commit yourself to your path in life is your other guarantee. Now that being said I side with Nakman. You know how to work on vehicles and you are now debt free. Those are two skills that many people in this current world wish they had. If you don't play now while you can you will lose the opportunity. Please don't get sucked into the ring just yet as some have referenced. New vs. used. I know the emotional end of this question. The financial end has to take over at this period in your life. But after all is said and done a clean and well kept ride no matter what flavor it is will always get you a date.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

My wife and I bought a new 2002 Tacoma ext cab. Year later had a baby, then 16 months later another baby. Traded the tacoma and $1000 for a used 1998 100series. I estimate it cost me $8000 to drive that new truck for almost 3 years.

What I do know is a pick-up truck + babies do not = happy wife

Last edited by farnhamstj; 02-07-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
My wife and I bought a new 2002 Tacoma ext cab. Year later had a baby, then 16 months later another baby. Traded the tacoma and $1000 for a used 1998 100series. I estimate it cost me $8000 to drive that new truck for almost 3 years.

What I do know is a pick-up truck + babies do not = happy wife
It can be done in a DC, but it's still tight, IMO. I made our 2001 work by removing the seat back, that gave me another 4" to shove those seats back so I could get mine back to where I wanted it. Was still snug though, especially that first year with rear facing.

But when you bring kids into it, there's really no substitute for the wagon- being able to toss jackets over the back seat is just a part of life.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, remember the fold the seat forward, slide the seat forward, load child seat, slide seat back to engage backrest, slide seat forward so as to adjust backrest to comfortable angle? That looks like a 4 door? ours was 2.

STOP KICKING MY SEAT!!!! (see first picture)
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

I don't think Rick is thinking baby's...... at least I don't think so.

matter of fact, a used rx7 with a v8 swap would be fun.. have you thought about that? you could throw it together for less than 3k. It'd last as long as you could keep the rear tires on it...
82 FJ40
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Hard Core 4+

IF you do buy new and depending on your down payment make sure to get GAP insurance. If you total your truck right of the lot the insurance will pay the difference between your pay off and what your truck is worth. A good thing to have when you get a loan longer than 4 years for the most part.

I do agree with Nak, take time travel and enjoy. I did it and would not trade those years and experiences for anything. Buy used and enjoy life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
I don't think Rick is thinking baby's...... at least I don't think so.

matter of fact, a used rx7 with a v8 swap would be fun.. have you thought about that? you could throw it together for less than 3k. It'd last as long as you could keep the rear tires on it...
Hahaha, let's just say that's not one of the life events I will be encountering in the short term. A souped up rx7... I won't even go there

Thank you to all who have weighed in so far. The starting a family topic that has been brought up is just the kind of insight I really do appreciate from you all who have been there and done that already.

Sure, I would like to start a family someday and having the right vehicle at that time is an important consideration I've given some thought to in the back of my head. If I were in that position right now, I'd be pretty set on a new Expedition, and this regular-cab pickup stuff wouldn't even be an option on the table.

Anywho...

I guess I did leave out something pretty important when I was talking about myself and my life right now.

Jen and I have been together over two years now. She has always been someone I can talk to about the sort of predicament I'm dealing with now. We agree that we're both too young to take our relationship to that next level, but we're comfortable talking about our lives together a few years down the road. She doesn't really know what to make of me buying a new truck right now.

I've observed many different lifestyles folks my age are living, and am always delighted to listen to more mature adults tell stories from back in the day. I have the allure for adventure, but have thus far been pretty constrained by financial uncertainty. Now that I feel confident my undergrad degree has been sorted, I'm looking forward to whats next.

If I had to tell you today where I see myself in a few years, it would be pretty far north...

So when I say I need to have reliable transportation, this is what I'm preparing myself for. And I'm not quite sure I have the intestinal fortitude of Sean Jones to drive a rusty old 40 up there, he had cojones.

So starting with grad school, it would be my way up there and back. In the next chapter of my life, the truck wouldn't be a kid hauler. Rather, I'd love to have it around as another tool in the toolbox. I can remember working up at Nakman's a few summers ago, and falling in love with the location of his old house outside Evergreen. At the time, his 80 came in handy for hauling debris, firewood, and the winch up front did a great job getting those sweet-smelling pines to drop exactly where we wanted them to. That’s the kind of lifestyle and recreation I want to have someday. I’d love to have a garden, with healthy food for my family to eat and as a sustainable way to supplement the food I’m putting on their table. So I’d be loading up the bed of that truck with tools, bags of topsoil, compost, and when I’m done I’d hose the thing out. Maybe somewhere along the line, a buddy needs help moving a couch, or as a club we’re doing trailwork. I get a lot of personal gratification from just being able to help out in those types of capacities.

So here I go again, getting long-winded and probably failing to present my thoughts very coherently. Thanks again all who have weighed in. I had not yet really considered going the CPO route, but will definitely give that all some thought. And to all the members of the Toyota Nut Network, if you happen across a low-miles, baby blue, SR5, 5-speed T100 for sale, I hope I’m the first guy you call.

1997 T100 4x4
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

That picture of you "frosted" is classic

Not to confuse the issue more, but a small trailer could also fit the "hauling" needs just fine - cheap if you have a place to store it...In the end you'll figure out what is right for you and get 'er done
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

You know if I you Rick, I'd get a few year old F150 4x4 and be done with it. Should be able to find a late 10th gen (97-2003) or an early 11th gen (2004-08) in good shape without a million miles for ~$10k, particularly if you stick to the XL and regular cab.

That's all we drove as kids back when I was about your age, old Fords and Chevys. At that time it would have been late 1970s and early 1980s trucks, but we went everywhere, road trips to Utah and Oregon and Montana and Colorado. We spent summers doing construction and working in climbing and bike shops. I suppose had we grown up in Colorado we'd have driven old Toyota trucks, but in St. Louis Toyotas weren't as common.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler