Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
It's this one...just significantly cheaper. http://powerequipment.honda.com/snow...models/hs928ta
Sweet
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
BTW, looks like we are in for another storm tomorrow and then potentially mid week.
Sweet! Just in time for our move.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Hire a neighborhood kid to shovel it. Likely cheaper than the machine, no maintenence, and you don't have to store something that gets used 3 days per year.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I would be totally into that, but there are no kids in Wash Park that would do it. They are either under the age of 6 or counting their trust funds. Honestly, I haven't seen a single teenager. I'm actually surprised by the number of homeowners that get out and shovel. My neighbor and I threaten to buy a snowblower every time we get one of these (he's also a corner lot) so maybe the thing to do would be to split it. He's got a $130k Porsche in the garage, so it probably won't bother him $ wise as much as me.
I figure the Honda has another 6 years in it at a minimum w/o needing much....probably 8. Those things are darn near impossible to kill.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

I live on Denvers west side and I have a long north side as well. My north side can see as much as 3-6" more than the rest of my walks. This last storm left 17" in back yard, but 2 feet on north side of fence. I want to get a nice 2 stage self propelled. I am tired of spending 3or4 hours shoveling. Every once in a while I will see a good one at pawn shops.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Rising Sun Member

Your future.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

does it have hand warmers? don't get one without hand warmers...

I thought you'd rig a tractor pto driven blower up to your 40....
TLCA#4180
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Trail Ready

That Honda is one sweet blower but if I had a rig like that I'd want to make it pay for itself.

I would be much more inclined to buy one of the larger units with knobby tires (Ariens, MTD, etc) which can be had new for $1K or less. My parents have one which I've managed to shove through heavy snow 30" deep.
TLCA#19287 -Since 12/08
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hand warmers? WTF?
You know, I have one of those massive walk behind mowers like the landscapers use. I don't have the little wheel on the back, but could. I really wanted to rig that thing to pull the mower deck off and hook up a thrower attachment to it. Thing is, I would have half the cost back into it, and it might not work very well, especially with no diff lock.
I thought about rigging something up to the 40's PTO, but my sidewalks just aren't wide enough Wes.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutbeer View Post
Yeah, so I found one on Clist, but it's super spendy. Trick is, after researching, I think the design is exactly what I need. It's a Honda tracked unit. Because it's tracked, it balances itself and the auger/scraper can actually be elevated a bit instead of dragging on the ground. They can also be tilted down to directly bite into compacted ice. Since a large part of my snow clearing is on large stone pavers with 3" gaps between them, this makes a lot of sense to me. Well, and for the super compacted alley. It's just damn expensive. I talked the guy down, but I still think he is wicked high. I treat yard equipment like buying a Toyota though...don't buy cheap, or you will buy twice....but buy used and let the first guy take the depreciation.
First one I bought was a garage sale special. Was very proud of it, spent the summer making sure it ran good and revved up. Well, first snow storm I am ready. Started right up, I even bought the 100v plug in starter accessory for it (due to previous garage sale special that would not start when cold, but ok when warm). Man was I ready. First bite of snow, kugh kugh and it dies. WTH. Turns out the motor ran fine but made no power due to valves being burned. Got pissed and gave it away.

Then I said, not again. We moved to a new house with a sloped north facing driveway. If you don't get it cleared, it becomes an ice rink when you drive over the snow.

In the spring time I thought I would be clever. Don't wait for the snow. Bought this one well in advance, decided nothing but Honda due to reputation.

Fast forward first snow storm. Man am I ready, started on first pull, go outside and this little mother throws snow like no other. Except no drive and it sucked pulling it up the sloped driveway. Also did not do so well on the downward run. Hey it is ok, I have a shop with flat walkways and we normally spent a lot of time clearing those. Loaded it on the truck and took it to the shop.

Now I am convinced on Honda, but I a not going to hold back. Priced a new one like this, ouch, but I had it justified.

But then it showed up on CL for 1/2 money due to divorce and wife not going to snow blow her own drive in Evergreen. I was there in a flash. Man this thing will go through everything. I regularly do the walks for my neighbors. I also regularly suck up their newspapers and make confetti. Only thing that has stopped it is sucking in a chain. Starts on first pull, even after sitting for the summer. So no need for the starter on it.

It is more difficult to maneuver, so not recommended for small areas. The fact that you can actually make it bite it is nice. It won't destroy an ice bank, but when I have packed snow /ice on the driveway I can set it on the bite in mode, and clear it pretty effective. It has a hydrostatic drive, so you can set it as slow as you want. If the snow is wet and thick, just set it slow and wait for it to do it's thing. On full blast it will throw the snow across the street into the yard on the other side.

So in short, get a Honda!