Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

This may turn into a Honda snow blower build thread. Doh!
Upon closer inspection of the blower this weekend, I found that the previous owner ran it out of adjustment for some time. Like long enough to grind about a half inch off the bottom of the metal sides for the auger housing. I saw some wear when I was buying it, but didn't get a full grasp of how much metal was missing until I went to Murdoch's and looked at a new one. Also, I noted that the auger teeth had wear when I was originally looking at it, but now I know that nearly 1/4 to 1/2" are worn off of them. Holy crap dude, that guy must have been destroying his driveway with that thing. Good news is the motor runs great, the tracks are in great shape, and the drive assembly looks and works like new. I'm baffled as to how/why this guy ran this blower in the "chomp" mode out of adjustment for so long. The idea is the auger is within an 1/8" of an inch of the sidewalk in chomp mode, not biting it! Ugh...well, it's not like I don't know how to weld sheet metal or weld on new teeth to the augers. At $500 to replace them, I will at least give welding a shot first. The $1,000 spent, though still a deal, might have been worth waiting for one to pop up at $1,500 w/o the wear. Meh...still beats the +$3k for a new one. Besides, now I can bust out some plasma cutter action and make some 1/8" plate scabs for the sides.....and put a link suspension on it with coilovers. yeah...
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL