Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default HT recommendation

Any recommendations on what to get for a cheap 2M HT? I don't need bells and whistles, just a simple, sturdy 2M HT for wheeling.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Dave. If I were to buy something new, would the FT60R be a good choice?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

On the last snow run I used and abused the crap out of a cheap Wouxun That I have had for about 8 months.
I dropped it in the snow, kicked it across the parking lot, and used it with my call sign all day.

It was great having a hand held because I was often out of the truck helping out with a strap or a winch set whenever Scott or Chris asked me what was happening at the back of the pack.

5 Watts was enough to cover all of the snow runners when I was out of the cab. In the truck, if the radio was laying sideways on the seat (poor antenna orientation and the metal cab around it didn't help), It was not good enough to count on for trail coms.

On a do-over, I would choose a smaller, slimmer, simpler HT that would be lighter and fit in a shirt pocket better. 1700mah of battery was enough to get me through 1 day of use.

I know I didn't include a recommendation, Martin, but I thought I could provide a little first hand info about the KG-UVD1P radio in real world operation.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the input, Stephen. I'm thinking an HT along with a mag mount on the rig should work great. Then when out of the rig, I can use the HT as well. I had an FT8800r in my 40, but it was more radio than I needed. an HT will work fine for my wheeling needs I think.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

the only thing that sucks about that is sound and range. It's fine if your at the trail with rigs but if your meeting them or catching up to them 5w blows. Sound also sucks unless you have a remote speaker. I had my 8r in the 80 and had trouble hearing on that little speaker.

Get the 3r It's tiny for jumping out of the rig and get a 1802/1900/2800 for the rig. my .02
TLCA#4180
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default here's one to follow

ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Lifted

Used Yaesu VX-170. Waterproof, basic construction, easy to program, and a good loud speaker. Or a new FT-270R.

http://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/view...idproduct=1795

Edit: 270R is just the new version of the 170. That ebay link looks like a solid find. I have one of the 170's and really like it. It's pretty bulletproof.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Hard Core 4+

Martin, I use an FT60 and love it. Sturdy, simple, powerful (use AA pack!), reliable. I have 4 antennas for it depending on how far away I'm working from my team or repeaters. Oh, and I should say it's my main HT rig for my work with Boulder County ARES. I carry my FT90 in my go-bag in case I need more power and there's aux power available.

I have owned an FT50 and an FT530. The FT60 is my favorite so far. Also, the FT60 with my zero gain stubby duck antenna was what I used on the Hayman rock haul run.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Used Yaesu VX-170. Waterproof, basic construction, easy to program, and a good loud speaker. Or a new FT-270R.

http://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/view...idproduct=1795

Edit: 270R is just the new version of the 170. That ebay link looks like a solid find. I have one of the 170's and really like it. It's pretty bulletproof.
I've been using a VX-170 in the truck and it works well. Loud clear audio, easy to read display. I adapted the SMA antenna connection to BNC, makes for an easier connection to the mobile antenna. I ditched the crappy stock antenna for a Larsen BNC duck for portable use.

I haven't had much use for it lately so I'd be willing to part with it. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
I've been using a VX-170 in the truck and it works well. Loud clear audio, easy to read display. I adapted the SMA antenna connection to BNC, makes for an easier connection to the mobile antenna. I ditched the crappy stock antenna for a Larsen BNC duck for portable use.

I haven't had much use for it lately so I'd be willing to part with it. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Did the packaging have attenuation figures for that SMA-BNC adapter? I would never use one of those on an HT to run a duck. A mag mount, sure, in a pinch. I looked into them years ago when the SMA became the Yaesu standard (with my FT50, iirc) and the attenuation on the one HRO had was something close to 15db.