Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Fuel smell, 3.4L 5VV-FE, Blower

For those who don't know, the Chili sports a 5VZ-FE (1996) with a 3rd gen supercharger. The evap system is 5VZ, but with a 22RE canister. When the blower was installed initially, there were no issues. Lately however, when full boost is hit (throttle floored), there is an almost instant smell of fuel in the cab. The more boost, the more fuel smell. Makes me a bit nervous. It has become very predictable, like every single time.

No codes are thrown. For a bit (pre-blower) I would occasionally throw an evap code (P0440) and had a fuel smell, but I traced that to a bad VSV plus a fuel line union that weeped a bit. Fixed all that. This ain't that.

Not sure really where to start. Any ideas? As you might guess, I kinda suspect the evap system but I've not noticed anything weird there except the smell - and no codes.

Why would boost cause a fuel smell, while running no boost (lighter throttle) = no smell?

One other thing I have noticed... probably unrelated. Idle sometimes wants to hang at 1200 RPM or so. Jump on the throttle and it drops back down to 750. Idles smoothly. I thought it was related to the welder hand throttle (and in part it was, fixed that with a little wire bending) but it still does it and the throttle plate is resting on the stop. Might be a red herring, might be related, dunno.

[edit] The one way check valve in the hose (forget which hose, but the instructions covered it) was new on install. Vacuum lines are fresh. If I think of anything else I will add that info.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

Do you have the 7th injector system? It only activates under boost and could be a leaky injector system.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

First thing I'd check would be the fuel rails. My brother had a similar issue and it was a bad o ring on an injector.

Technically you are boosting right off idle. I assume it only does it under hard accelleration, ie when the whine gets loud.

I don't think the SC is the culprit, unless, as Gary says, you are running a 7th injector kit. My recollection was that you aren't, but I could be wrong.

Does this happen under all conditions, ie, windows down/up, soft top open closed, recirc on/off?

I ask only because you can pull fumes in from under the truck as well, but I'm guessing you've had everything closed up.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 02-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Engine swaps can be tricky for the evap.
How is your system currently setup to purge? Under what conditions?
Is the '96 5VZ-FE OBDII? I imagine there is a purge solenoid that would open when the system senses manifold vacuum, while fulfilling some other conditions (I think must be off idle), etc.
Is the 22RE charcoal can compatible with the 5VZ purge set-up? I noticed a difference in the charcoal cannister when trying to swap OBDII into OBDI body.
Under boost, there is obviously no vacuum, but perhaps your charcoal canister is ready to be purged and is stinking from the drain tube at the bottom.
I imagine this is worse when everything is warm.
Until you can define how/when your current engine set-up is supposed to evacuate the charcoal cannister I think you will be chasing your tail.

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Hard Core 4+

your idle hang suggests a lean out condition (but you knew that) so I with the others on a leak spot on the fuel delivery. I am not familiar enough with these systems, but is the pressure regulation steady state or on demand on this platform? On demand plus leak would = smell, a lean out on the rail with a bubble/air. etc etc.

john (johnny) henley
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

FJ I think is touching the issue. On your older OBD setup where is the vacuum source? If it's not coming from the throttle body then you have no vacuum with boost. Also, it's very possible that the problem has been there all along but now your charcoal canister is fuel saturated.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Hmmm... interesting. Note that this did not start until well after install of the blower, so something degraded at least 4 months after.
OBDII- check
Fuel Pressure Regulation - stock 1996 5VZ-FE
7th Injector - nope, 1996 ECM did not support (and I don't have Gadget's piggyback kit). So all fueling is stock Toyota 1996 5VZ.

Quote:
How is your system currently setup to purge? Under what conditions?
Is the '96 5VZ-FE OBDII? I imagine there is a purge solenoid that would open when the system senses manifold vacuum, while fulfilling some other conditions (I think must be off idle), etc.
Stock 1996 purge except for the physical canister. That arrangement is around 5 years old and has been issue-free for that time until recently (if that is the issue).

Quote:
Is the 22RE charcoal can compatible with the 5VZ purge set-up? I noticed a difference in the charcoal cannister when trying to swap OBDII into OBDI body.
Yeah kinda. Mike Caskey made it work due to space constraints. Using stock 5VZ-FE VSVs and controls.

Quote:
Under boost, there is obviously no vacuum, but perhaps your charcoal canister is ready to be purged and is stinking from the drain tube at the bottom. I imagine this is worse when everything is warm.
Possibly. Not really noticed whether warm makes a difference (I never romp on a cold motor). Yes, this happens only under harder throttle, and watching the boost gauge only when 3-6lbs boost. Under vacuum conditions it does not happen. Thrown on 6lbs of boost, and you can smell it almost instantly which kinda DOES sound like fuel rail. But a leaky injector O-ring would smell all the time, wouldn't it? Wouldn't the pressure be more or less constant, even LOWER under full demand?

Sounds like I need to put some leak detector on the canister drain and go romp on it mebbe. Or put a catch bottle on it and see how many gallons I am throwing on the pavement in a given trip.

Oh, open vehicle, closed, doesn't matter, you smell it. Soft top Runner is kinda breezy...
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

DOH! Just did some research... high vacuum equals lower fuel pressure, low vacuum equals higher fuel pressure, boost equals the highest. Now it is REALLY sounding like fuel rail. And something that needs immediate attention if I want to avoid roasted chili.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Don't roast the chili!

Keep us posted...

1978 FJ-40
1974 FJ-55 w/ 3FE

TLCA #10713

CO/WY Horsetooth 4 Wheelers Cruiser Club - Click Here!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
could be a leaky injector system.
hmmmm roasted chilies :-)

have you had the ECM re-flashed ? If I'm not mistaken, that is part of the supercharger install and done at the dealer