Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I did go.... the slab and the hill just before the slab were ice free, but I wasn't prepared for how much wheel lift and how "tippy" it is right after the slab! Whoa!..... scared me a little. That was the first time I've really tested the A-Trac, and I'm pretty impressed. The lower trail is washed out pretty good with the snow melt. I wouldn't do it alone again, but I'd like to go back. It was a lot of fun. Going up was a lot more fun than going down, I really thought I was gonna tip over on that turn right after the slab. I'm sure it didn't look as bad as it felt, but being alone, it was enough to make me pucker. I didn't see another rig all day, but there were a few tracks from previous days.

There was still a good amount of snow in some spots and lots of mud. It took me a while to get all the way to the river so my fishing time was cut short. My wife and I had reservations at Fogo De Chao at 5:30, so the 100 got me to the river and back, a quick wash, then out to a nice dinner all in the same day. Not bad!

Heres a few pics..... I would have loved some action shots of the slab, but my kung fu grip on the wheel prevented me from getting out and trying to grab a few!
Attached Images

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 PM

That gate doesn't look seasonal, I think it's just a FS gate. I did see two dogs way down the trail. One was a pit bull mix and looked collared, the other was a husky. The pit mix was tan and at first I thought it was a lion. I saw them on the way out too, about a mile away from where I saw them going in. They were feeding on a deer. Kinda crazy. Never saw a person. I called out "is anyone with these dogs?" and got no answer. I tried to call the dogs over, but they weren't having anything to do with me and I wasn't about to go towards them and their deer, alone and a long ways from the nearest house.

It spooked me a little. I guess they could belong to one of the houses off Swamp Rd, but that's a good 1-2 miles away? I looked for lost dogs signs at the trail head, but nothing. I think I'll call the FS tomorrow and just report it. Any other ideas?

TLCA Social Media
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM
Rising Sun Member

Glad you had a good time and made it down and back. Yeah, that slab and hill are the fun parts of the trail.

'85 FJ60
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

more importantly, how was the nymphing?

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
more importantly, how was the nymphing?
It wasn't as good as I would have liked because I was short on time. Only about an hour to rig up and get in the water. I'd love to get your inside info on that section of river.

I fished downstream around the first bend. There is still alot of shelf ice and due to the warm temps, it's breaking off in huge chunks. Pretty dangerous actually! I fished with a RS2 in size 20 and a Rojo midge size 20. Hooked one fish at the big rock, but didn't land it.

I'd like to go back and really have the time to study the water and do it right. That parking area looks perfect for an overnight trip.

TLCA Social Media
Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

it's a poor section of river.. not much has happened since the burn, and it hasn't recovered as well. the action is still up on the private water around deckers, and then the public at 11 mile.

coppers at 22, and any other midge nymph work well, but buggers and bitch creeks will get the big fish in the holes.

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-06-2012, 10:17 AM

I just can't take the combat fishing at Deckers. Cheeseman is about the same. Every pullout had a vehicle in it when I passed through on my way home. I'll try and hit 11mile real soon.

TLCA Social Media
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Wincher

Cool report, would have loved to go with you if it wasn't for that damn four letter word, work.