Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 06-26-2015, 12:43 AM
Rock Stacker

Default Help Replacing Brake Line(s) 6/27 or 6/28?

My 1982 BJ42 can no longer brake. The fluid pours out of one of the lines where it leaves the master cylinder.

I haven't replaced brake lines before, and am a newbie to wrenching in general. A glance at the mud forums suggests it isn't a bad DIY job, but I'd love to have an experienced hand around to guid me. If anyone is interested in helping me out this Saturday or Sunday (6/27,28/2015), let me know! I live in Boulder and the cruiser is currently not safe to drive, so you would have to come to me. Beer will be supplied!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:56 AM
Rising Sun Member

I can't get to boulder to assist, but its straightforward work. Soak those joints with PB blaster morning and night leading up to the job. Don't overtighten connections. You can always snug up later. Use torque wrench on all bolts. Bleeding brakes is really easy and all the fuss is just fuss.

I do not understand what you mean about the " fluid pours out of one of the lines where it leaves the master cylinder."

Lines are metal. Hoses are rubber. Are you replacing metal? Bending or pre-bent? Flaring or pre-flared? Just replacing hoses? (much easier)

Old 06-26-2015, 12:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Best advice for brake lines...

Flare wrench

Name:  373.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  9.7 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 06-26-2015, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
Best advice for brake lines...

Flare wrench

Attachment 42788
x1000
TLCA #23154
1984 Toyota Pickup "The Geisha" 22RE conversion, 268 cam, LCE header w/ 2.25" magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" OME lift, V6 dual diaphram booster w/ 1 inch master, a 3rd gen mini bed, on 31's for now and my Daily Driver.
2008 Kawasaki KX450F (too much stuff to list)
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM
Rising Sun Member

or the universal solution:

I can't help this weekend, but maybe another time..
Attached Images

82 FJ40
Old 06-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukshuk View Post
I do not understand what you mean about the " fluid pours out of one of the lines where it leaves the master cylinder."

Lines are metal. Hoses are rubber. Are you replacing metal? Bending or pre-bent? Flaring or pre-flared? Just replacing hoses? (much easier)

They are metal. I attached some photos below.

Ignore my hand in the first one. The fluid leaks from the right fitting. My language was imprecise -- I just don't know what to call the thing that emerges from the cylinder.

In fact, I'm not certain I need to replace the line. I originally was hoping maybe there was just a seal in there that needed replacing, but I gather from what I have read so far that the seal is made by seating the flared end of the brake line against a corresponding nipple -- e.g. no simple rubber gasket or something to replace. So I guess that is why you end up having to replace the whole line when this happens? Still seems like overkill. Couldn't I just cut the tip off the line if there is extra, flare it, and reseat it?

Also, while I'm asking questions -- is this the type of thing where when one goes the others aren't far behind? Should I just replace them all while I'm at it?

Thanks for the advice! I'll buy some flare wrenches.
Attached Images