Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Extended rear brake line and exhaust clearance? (80 series)

Forgive the cross post for those of you that frequent mud, but I know there are a number of folks that dont so wanted to post here too

A while back I bought all 7 new soft lines for the brakes. Got the extended Toyota ones on the 2 fronts and 1 rear from frame to axle. Not sure if I needed them but the fox's in the rear are just short of the extended length of an OME "L" shock which folks suggest getting new lines for.

Went to install the rear line a while back but wasn't sure about the clearance of the new longer line and the rear exhaust pipe. I'm running 863's w/ weight in the back so not a huge lift by any means.

At normal ride height I think there'd be ~3" clearance but any bumps or whatnot would get it close. Not sure if it would contact or not without installing it. I held up the new line as best I could to get an idea but not exact.

For those that have done something similar, did you secure the brake line out of the way at all, and if so, how? Or is this a non-issue?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I secured mine to that wire loom that attaches to the cross member behind the gas tank (just above your hand in the picture). It's loose enough to allow movement of the line with the axle. But even so the external black sheathing on mine has split and exposed the braided steel. I'm sure this is both from the bending in the line and the heat from the pipe. But I see no evidence of excessive heating.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

Mine is really close to the exhaust. Slee lines. The outer plastic stuff has split at the bend. I thought it was heat at first but all the others have done the same at the wheels. Meh.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 06-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks guys. I think I will try some of this stuff as well incase of a quick touch of the exhaust to the brake line when both sides of the suspension compresses.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've got something similar covering the fluid exchange hose between my tranny and tcase on my 40. That hose runs inches away from my exhaust and it's been fine for many years with a heat shield around it.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just a quick follow up. I determined that the stock 80 drivers front soft line is about +2" over the stock rear line as opposed to the +5 line I had. So sold the longer line and bought the shorter one. It's a great length for smaller lifts.