Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

oh - and one more thing - use this.

I can't get it to open with excel 2010, but maybe you can.

Here's a useful link. If you can get the spreadsheet, do it. It's irreplaceable.
http://vma.cape.com/~patrick/brm/carbkei.htm
Attached Files
File Type: xls Copy of JD_Jetting_2002_VS.xls (473.5 KB, 46 views)

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey cool stuff, thanks John. I'm not sure what it all means yet, but appreciate it looking forward to learning. Here's a .pdf of that spreadsheet for ya.. I'll print one off.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Copy of JD_Jetting_2002_VS.pdf (61.1 KB, 98 views)

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
Dude that's a serious mount, wow.. that's probably 5 mods ahead though honestly, first I need to get this bike running right, then hopefully later I'll worry about getting lost on it.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Hey cool stuff, thanks John. I'm not sure what it all means yet, but appreciate it looking forward to learning. Here's a .pdf of that spreadsheet for ya.. I'll print one off.

Tim -
Printing it is no good. It is a live macro sheet, in which you input changes to formulate results.

In other words, plug in your temp, elevation, stock needle, and you can vary your configurations.

It's a live configurator. it also retails for 20.00 on the jd site, so be judicious in forwarding it.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Alright, well tonight's efforts included pulling the tank, pulling the plug wire, and trimming back 1/4" of the plug wire at the coil side. I can't really say if I did anything significant here, I guess the wires may have been a little enlarged where they were in contact with the threaded thing coming from the coil, so I guess the new wires may be against that threaded thing a little tighter now.

the second picture is "before trimming," and the third picture is "after trimming." Not shown is what it looked like after I spread the wires out with an awl, prior to shoving it back onto the coil.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Here's what my plug looks like. this should have been a brand new plug, per the PO.. looks ok to me? I measured the gap between .018"-.020".

I still can't find the gap spec in the manual. but what I did find is my plug type should be NGK CR 9 EBK.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Hard Core 4+

tim - slow down a bit.

Seriously, you are going to have to go through this alllll over again when it gets warm. If anything, put it back to stock, then adjust jetting until warmer.

Get into that spreadsheet, and do some reading on stoichemetric (sp) ratio's. These small cylinders with big carbs don't have much room for error.

also - that plug doesn't look bad at all. well within color range.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm trying to get a new to me bike to e-start when hot, and stay running going down the road. I don't need to wait for summer for that. This isn't exactly fine tuning as much as just cleaning and base lining. The fuel screw and jet kit are means to that end.

One possibility i considered last night is I may have just run out of gas, as I switched to reserve after it died on the road lat Sunday to get home. Looking on the tank, my gas level is below the filter of the fuel valve thing- when you switch to reserve, is it just getting gas from further down that pipe? That could mean my total range with the stock tank is about 50 miles- which I'm thinking is pretty poor mileage.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

Tim likes to take things apart. I get that. That plug looks good to me too.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Hard Core 4+

Yes on the petcock. Milage seems low. I get 90miles out of a stock tank, 2.4 gal I think.