Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Does this fcr have a choke circuit, or is it a pure pumper?

You're set too rich on idle slash 1/8th throttle is what it sounds like regardless.

Remove carb and clean the whole damn thing, then baseline back to factory, then use the JD sheet for for changes. Remember, needle doesn't affect idle to 1/8th throttle. Pilot jet, air jet, idle screw (in place of air jet) are where your at.

Don't overlook battery on a motorcycle. remember that rectifiers and or most alternators on motorcycles DO NOT charge below 2-3k rpm.

Case in point, just put a "street" battery back in the ducati after the smallest possible was in there for weight concerns. I have no choke on my fcr's, and now it starts much faster, and has much better spark at cold. Just sayin

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Rising Sun member

Sorry to hear of your troubles Tim

Elite did a great job tuning my bike

Didn't realize you had a different engine than me.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I didn't have the truck running, if that matters, just joined the batteries with cables- wanted to rule out lack of cranking amps from the issue.

John not sure what you mean by choke circuit- there's a knob to pull out but that's it? I can pull the carb though as a next step.

Matt we have the same engine- the pic above is from a 450, but posted here to show the torque limiter.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Hard Core 4+

ok - if it has a manual choke, then you need to make sure that the choke circuit is functioning correctly. There should be some o-rings and such to check. Go to JD's site or Sudco for fcr diagrams.

I highly recommend that you pull and baseline the carb. Highly.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Rising Sun Commander

So is this my carb?

Alright I called JD Jetting. They had two thoughts: one is the PO installed a bigger pilot jet, thinking that was solving an issue. I shouldn't run anything bigger than a 42, 40 is stock, they suggest a 42. So I ordered one. The fuel screw washer comes in a kit - spring, washer and 0-ring for $8.95. So I ordered one (could use a new o-ring anyway) once it gets in, I bet I can take some measurements and find a box of them at MSC or something.

Second thought was the slide in the carb, and the fact that a lot of people install the plate on it backwards. The correct way is with the hole towards the brass pin, even though intuitively it looks like it goes the other way because of how it's shaped. They say if you install it backwards, your bike runs terrible at idle and doesn't start well. An enormous picture can be found here: http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/53264343

I should have the new washer and pilot jet later in the week..

www.gamiviti.com

Last edited by nakman; 03-12-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

again - baseline, and go from there. I think you're on the right track. Main CAN affect idle, 1/8th throttle, but it's mainly in the air jets/screws, plus the pilot.

Baseline the carb back to stock on ALL jets, then start over. Your chasing windmills until you do this.

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hard Core 4+

I am with John. Baseline pure factory setup FIRST. Make sure you roll back any carb changes done by the PO or you will chase your tail. Agreed, sounds like simple rich condition, idle circuit.

Are you sure the choke is off? Not intended to make you feel like a dummy... I once disassembled a perfectly good motorcycle only to discover it was out of gas. Overthinking... yeah, been there, done that.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm really hoping my throttle valve plate is on upside-down... that would really make me happy.

Bill after about a minute it runs pretty terrible with the choke still on. In fact last few times I started it while cold, I had the choke on, then after it died, the only way I was able to start again was with the choke off.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Rising Sun member

Okay, I'm stupid and confused. Someone help me.

My 2008 has an RC4 engine, which supposedly came out in 2007.

The RFS motor appears to have been around from 2000-2007 in Enduro models (EXC?)

The RFS got replaced by the XC4 in 2008?

So I think Tim and I both have RC4s? What's all this talk about RFS and FCR? I'm so confused...

Tim, FWIW my bike doesn't like the choke much either.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Confused here too, Matt. FCR is the type of carb, I've figured that out.

I thought RFS was a quality term: regardless of feature size. Stuff like surface finish, concentricity, etc.

www.gamiviti.com