Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Well my little cover thing was oriented in the right direction, with the hole down. However I did discover my pilot was a #45, which according to JD is way too big. So hey cool I found something, will be putting the 42 back in when this carb is all cleaned up. Going to bed now...

edit: I also drained my tank in prep for washing it out on Saturday, and there was a little black plastic ball jiggling inside it. It's 3/8" diameter. Is that supposed to be somewhere else?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

The ball might be part of a check valve in the tank cap. Many people defeat the check valve to make the tank vent better which makes the bike run better.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 AM
Hard Core 4+

Nak, that much difference in a pilot jet would explain all the issues you are having. Perhaps the guy was trying to solve an overheating issue?

On the XR, going as rich as possible makes a huge difference in engine temps. But there is a limit of course. It also compensated for the absence of an accelerator pump to a small degree. But the real solution - for me - was putting an Edelbrock Quicksilver on it with an accelerator pump, bigger aftermarket radiators, hotter thermostat (counter-intuitive ain't it?), Redline Water Wetter, and a manual switched KTM fan for slow going. Complete solution. NEVER boils now, never floods, 1-3 kick starting even after dumping.

I got tired of people saying "just ride faster". Some of the places I like to ride, there just AIN'T no faster, and I don't want to boil over. Ride as fast or slow as suits you. It is all about your enjoyment, not measuring up to someone else's standards.

Some of those ideas may serve you well should you find yourself in a similar pickle. It is solvable.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:05 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Interesting Bill, yes if there was an overheating issue that could partially explain the CPU fan, the one that's now a part of our Nation's landfills. That would really make me happy if that was the path here- new pilot makes bike run better, later in life I actually ride to the point of having a heat issue, followed by proper install of KTM fan and other doo dads as necessary.

Going to Sun Ent. at lunch today, hoping to pick up a carb rebuild kit (bunch of o-rings, essentially) and a new side cover for the crankcase. My second issue is the e-start, so my sites are set on tightening that torque limiter as the logical next step. Other than some carb cleaner, any other job-specific tools I should have on hand here?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

Not sure about Katoom SSTs for the torque limiter, but I think for all the rest you are covered. Ask the parts guys or better yet the service guys. They often know lots of shortcuts and better ways to do things.

Actually it will probably be LATER that you actually ride to the point of NOT having heat issues. Until we get you into some gnarly near-trials singletrack that is.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Commander

My point was, on the stand in the garage overheating hasn't exactly been a big issue.

edit: Hey, post 8000!

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

interesting on the jet man.

we'll have a good look tomorrow in the AM, don't put it together all the way yet.

grab a gasket for the stator cover while you're there too if they have it.

getting my plate today hopefully (if it is as easy as it's supposed to be)
82 FJ40
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
My point was, on the stand in the garage overheating hasn't exactly been a big issue.
Oh.
KDRCH
Bio Page
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Hey check out this picture of the torque limiter of my engine:

It's #7... hopefully easy to find once we pull the pesky clutch out of the way..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

and it's just a pair of channel locks to tighten it right?

you have the right sockets? I guess if not home depot is close.
82 FJ40