Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Yeah, I got sockets. Going to pick up an inch torque wrench at lunch, I think that's the only other tool that we'll need.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

You'll need that for doing your own diffs anyway...
Get a dial type.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Rising Sun Commander

guy at parts counter: what kind of bike you got?

me: 2007 250 XCF-w

parts guy: I had one of those for a while, ended up selling it.

me: why'd you get sell it?

parts guy: couldn't get the carb adjusted right.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Oh... you've just added to our sense of challenge and adventure!!!

It CAN be DONE! Just because he's a wuss...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Woo Hoo!!! Marco came over today, we blasted every little orifice we could find, set up the carb to stock JD settings with the 42 pilot, found a good bit of gunk in a couple places. Hosed out the gas tank really well, got it all cleaned up everything was feeling good.. then the damn thing wouldn't start or idle, just like before.

We pulled both side covers looking for that torque limiter, got that gear out and couldn't figure out how to adjust it, so slapped it back in. Started swapping parts between Marco's 530 and mine, it actually ran a little better with his CDI. thought there is since that's a lower revving engine, maybe it's more tolerant of less current? Started measuring current and my stator output was half of his.. like 6.8 when e-starting. No wonder we couldn't ever see a spark..

So I went to Sun and bought their stator kit upgrade, and another new gasket. $200 later, but wow what a difference. The bike starts, it idles, you can kill it and it starts again. Probably 30 starts in the last 30 minutes, just can't believe it.. plus it rides 1000x better now, way more pep, actually fast feeling (like the first 250 XCF-w I drove but didn't buy).

Now I need to get some miles on, get a feel for how the bike runs then start messing with the jetting a little more to see what changes it makes. But heck it runs pretty good right now, very happy. thanks again Marco for all the help today, that was fun.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-17-2012, 05:25 PM
Rising Sun Member

no problem tim!

Glad I could help out!
82 FJ40
Old 03-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad to hear that you figured it out. Now we need to ride.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Rising Sun Commander

So I am getting pretty poor mileage- like 48 miles from full to where I run out of gas, and need to switch to reserve. I was hopefully thinking it was because I had the bike leaned onto the kick stand to fill up, but don't think the tipping of the bike is enough to account for almost half the efficiency that Subzali gets. I am likely + 30 pounds though, but is that so significant?

So I experimented with trying to lean out the mixture, and moved the little E-clip on the big long needle from slot #4 to slot #2, essentially shoving it down in further, which in turns lets less gas by. Well that resulted in a bike that almost doesn't start, I did get it to start by flooring the throttle, but then around the block it ran really poorly. So then I moved the needle to slot #3, splitting the difference. Ok that starts a little better, kind of a pain when cold but when hot starts right up. Seemed to run ok.. but I liked how it started before.

so then yesterday I switched back to slot #4, then I changed my main jet from a 180 to the 175. Per the JD documentation, I'm set up now for 6000-9000' elevation. the bike starts fine now, I haven't had a chance to ride it yet though. I'm going to leave it as-is for now then drag it to Utah..

Are there other adjustments that would lean out my mixture, beyond the clip position on the big needle, and the main jet? And what of those would you suggest? Anything else I should look at to try to improve fuel economy?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

How is the float height? That is pretty low for milage. Sure you're not pouring gas out the carb overflow?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Marco and I inspected the float and thought it looked "fine," can't remember the number but it was within spec. I am definitely not losing gas out of any of those hoses, would have smelled or seen it in the garage, or seen dirt buildup on one, and there is none- definitely no leaks.

www.gamiviti.com