Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default Tips for a short term Cruiser owner

Here is a different take on owning a Cruiser:

A friend of mine has a son who is traveling around Central America. He has been using busses but decided to buy a vehicle for 3 months to gain more mobility. He is currently interested in a '73 Land Cruiser. I guess its an FJ40. He's in Panama. He briefly considered bringing the vehicle back to the US after the trip but has decided against it. He wants to buy it in Panama and sell it there 3 months later.

So, knowing what you do about 40s, what would you inspect for when buying a Cruiser for this purpose? The first thing that came to mind was the brakes. I expect a '73 would have 4 wheel drums and a drive shaft parking brake.

If you didn't care about rust, or front axle service, or most of the things that Cruiser shoppers care about for the long term, what would you look for?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via MSN to theboomboom

Wiring. Any electrical tape hokey-ness is likely going to be a darn headache, especially if headlights go pop, idle solenoids don't go click, the interior gauge light cuts out, etc.

I'm also aware that buying/selling a vehicle in Central America can be a headache logistics/legality-wise. Presumably he knows what he's getting himself into, correct?

1997 T100 4x4
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Safety first...brakes, steering, etc.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Rising Sun Member

I too would focus on brakes and steering. if it starts and runs easily that's good.

seems like all the rest can be made to work. leaky things can be kept topped up.
82 FJ40