Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-08-2012, 03:04 PM

Default Wiring harness

Who has replaced their wiring harness on their 40's?
What kind did you use?
How much of a challenge was it?
Did you hire somebody or do it yourself?
What kind of guidance can you offer from personal experience?
I am really in need of help here.

Should this be moved to the chit chat section?
Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Rising Sun member

I would talk to Coolerman. He should be getting back to business pretty soon.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/members/coolerman.html

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/co...gmainframe.htm

This is tech.

There are a few other popular wiring harness kits - Painless etc. which it seems for cruisers are not painless or easy. There are usually a lot of man-hours involved in properly rewiring a truck. SOR and others offer used wiring harnesses, and you could always pull a harness from a handful of junkyard vehicles and piece together your own using all the correct colors, but that's certainly a pain as well.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Who has replaced their wiring harness on their 40's?
>I did a '65 FJ45 whose OEM harness was in shreds. What wire was left was so stiff the insulation shattered when you bent it.

What kind did you use?
>Brand was 'It's a Snap' - cost $120ish, I think - maybe less, for the 12 circuit. Only problem was that the rear section (taillights, etc.) was too short for an FJ45, so I had to splice on additional wiring.

How much of a challenge was it?
>Not huge, but I just wired up one circuit a day until all were done. Trying to do it all in one day would be really frustrating. Realize that nearly all harnesses are set up for Ford/GM/Chrysler, as far as turn signals and wire colors, so you will have to make a few mods for a Toyota. I really liked having each wire labeled (directly on the wire) its function - this makes it so much easier. Most harnesses feature this.

Did you hire somebody or do it yourself?
> I wouldn't trust many to do this right. DIY if at all possible. I tried to solder and heat-shrink every connection. I enjoyed routing the wiring, using loom to hide things, and trying to do a real pro job. The result was totally reliable and attractive. Even this 'off brand' harness had many good features and quality wire.

What kind of guidance can you offer from personal experience?
> Be realistic about how long it will take. Don't hurry. Buy a harness kit with 6 more circuits than you need. When you discover what you forgot, you'll be glad you had the overhead of more fuses and circuits. Save the nasty stuff (for me, the turn signals) until last - build your confidence on the easy circuits. I think I ran a separate brake wire for the brake lights, since the harness assumed your turn signals and brakes were the same.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have not rewired a 40 yet but have run plenty of accessory and/or replaced different portions of a harness. All the advice above is very good.

As far as suppliers Painless used to be one of the better choices but recently it seems like there have been a number of new players to the market. Personally I'd opt for something waterproof. There are a few choices like that. Painless has one as well as others.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Well guys not even sure where to start but I do need someone with some knowledge about wiring. To tell me if I need to rewire or what.