Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default trail etiquette

I admit it I can be a total hypocrite sometimes when it comes to sharing the trail. When I'm riding my mountain bike I don't like horses. When I'm hiking I don't like Jeeps. And when I'm 4-wheeling I don't like hikers or mountain bikes. But there's nothing worse than those damn motorcycles and ATV's.

Unless of course, you're on a motorcycle, then perhaps there's nothing better? So ok, now that you've crossed over to the dark side, what do you do so you're not be one of "those" guys?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Hard Core 4+

ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Rising Sun Commander

That's good to know about throwing rocks.. but tough to coast by when you're going uphill right? Can still lug it though.

How long should you wait behind a big group of trucks, before you figure they're not stopping and you're better off moving up through them?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Hard Core 4+

Just like we do, talk to the last person in the group. They may be able to talk to the person infront or close to it. Just apply what we do in trucks to the motorcycle world and you will be fine. But like Bill said keep the RPM's down or off, with the magic button it is easy enough to start the bike up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah yeah yeah, you magic button pink panties guys....
KDØRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.
this

and even if you're passing going uphill, most anywhere you pass someone you can easily cruise by without kicking rocks at them. I wait until I am around the corner on my YZ before hitting the gas again
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

KTM guys do have the reputation of being rich know it all pricks. I expect you to play the part to the best of your ability. Your outfit should say, "I have the best gear money can buy, but the colors don't match" You're facial expression should be "GET THE F out of MY WAY" people can see the look in their rear view mirror through your goggles and face mask, they will move for you.

The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.
I also don't understand why people would want to hike a road.

My dog is always off leash in the mountains, but under voice command. I'd go to a local park if I wanted to leash him.

I have thought about leashing the kids though.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Leashes make great clothes lines for passing KTM's!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Hard Core 4+

Just don't do what the last guy did that pissed you off when you were hiking, biking, or wheeling. Dust really pisses me off when I'm hiking and I generally have an idea of my dust's hang time and adjust accordingly.
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner