Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default LED LCD TV, need advice

We need to purchase a new TV. Currently we have a 40 LCD Sony Bravia that has been just fine. I have not messed with any setting since taking it out of the box. I'm going to move that to the bedroom to replace an old TV that is dying.

Anyway I'm looking at a new Sony KDL-60NX720 for the family room. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15860NX...L-60NX720.html I'm not a Sony loyalist, just have no complaints with my current TV. This stuff changes so fast and just does not interest me like say a RTT. The only thing that jumped out at me was the Gorilla Glass feature. With Bridger a more durable and easy to clean screen sounds good.

Anyway we want a 60" or greater
WiFi
120 HZ min

Let me know if there is anything wrong with the Sony or if someone else has something worth buying instead. The way I see it its going to be outdated in 6 months anyway.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

I was waiting for the Samsung ES8000. It has a modular deal that might help keep the technology alive a few years more.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...uble-persists/

I think in my lifetime Sony has been the standard bearer. But the Koreans, especially Samsung in LED, have just been outspending everyone so drastically that I'd probably look at them first. Gorilla glass is awesome.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Hard Core 4+

i sugust just getting which ever one you like.
i always liked the led tv's but hell you'll be happy whith what ever you get. i also sugust getting one a bit larger than your planing for. so you dont regret it when you get home
Old 03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I was looking at a Samsung @ Best Buy the other day that had the best picture of all on the wall. Can't recall the model, but it was 240 Hz and was a 1K off on sale.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm amazed at the number of TVs (and computers) that have a high gloss finish on the glass display surface. If you sit in a dark room all time, I guess it can work. One of the rec's I had when shoping for a TV was a non glare matte finish that would look good even when there was light or even an open window in the room. I have an LG that I like. My HP laptop with the shiny finish sucks.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 03-19-2012, 07:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60wag View Post
One of the rec's I had when shoping for a TV was a non glare matte finish that would look good even when there was light or even an open window in the room. I have an LG that I like.
We bought an LG TV and had the same requirements, a matte surface since it faces a window. We don't have the space for a monster TV so we ended up with a 37" one. Anyway, it looks nice, we're happy with it. It replaced a 15 year old Magnavox 25" tube TV, so might take that assessment with a grain of salt...

One thing I also liked was the off-the-air receiver they built into it wasn't complete junk, it works fine with a set of rabbit ears just sitting on top. This was something I noticed was not universally the case, some TVs have receivers that are worthless. If it's hooked to cable or DBS TV this would not be nearly as important.

BTW, our LG was made in Mexico.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Our experience was similar to Dave's and Bruce's. Ours is a 37" vizio from costco i got like 6 years ago at least.
82 FJ40
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

I am in the AV business.

I recommend Samsung and Sharp products all the time. LG is pretty good as well. I have two Visio LCD's I bought 3 years ago because of price....next ones will be Samsung.

You can get great deals on LCD's these days but product is becoming scarce since all the manufactures are focusing on LED. LED is simply a back lit LCD monitor. LED's are super light and it is what I recommend to clients.

Monitors change all the time so do you research, look at all of them and go with price/quality. In 6 months something better will come out.

______
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
LED's are super light
yer a genius
TLCA#4180

Last edited by wesintl; 03-19-2012 at 12:00 PM.