Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I think you can modify the system to manually "unlink" the batteries once the truck is running. Thus fully charging the aux battery. That's my plan. The entire system won't know the difference.
How are you going to do that? If you unlink, the 2nd battery will not charge. Unless you are going to switch the alternator output as well so you can select what battery it charges.

Quote:
Like Christo mentioned, the bonus of the IBS system is to see the batteries linked together. That can be done without the in cab voltage meter of the IBS System. That being said, I'm still gonna visit Christo this week for the second battery tray (and a bumper) and run the IBS system. However, I'm going to modify it for my needs. I need a second battery that I can recharge in the field in minimal time. I don't want to drive 3 hours just to charge my aux battery.
Even if you just charge the one depleted battery, how are you going to get it charged up with minimal driving? You are going to need a generator or solar source.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I think you can modify the system to manually "unlink" the batteries once the truck is running. Thus fully charging the aux battery. That's my plan. The entire system won't know the difference.
Looks like to me that you can only link and unlink the aux battery from the system. Doing this will isolate a dead battery from the system, which you might want to do if you are not charging to keep the main from being drawn down. The only reason that I could see linked the two batteries in this system while not running would be to jump start yourself or maybe to winch.
Quote:
Like Christo mentioned, the bonus of the IBS system is to see the batteries linked together. That can be done without the in cab voltage meter of the IBS System. That being said, I'm still gonna visit Christo this week for the second battery tray (and a bumper) and run the IBS system. However, I'm going to modify it for my needs. I need a second battery that I can recharge in the field in minimal time. I don't want to drive 3 hours just to charge my aux battery.
You'll need some combination of time and energy equal to the depleted charge. It might be a couple of hours at highway to replace a whole night of use. Some laws cannot be broken...
Old 03-22-2012, 02:48 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I'm not trying to get an instant charge, just much faster than the current system allows.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

How much of a difference would it really make?

Assuming the starting battery is at near full charge and reaches full charge within 15 mins of starting the truck, how much slower really is the aux battery getting charged assuming the majority of the charge is being directed to it?

I'm curious since I'll be installing the IBS as well. I'm not a "power" user so I'm not as concerned as Stan is but are we talking a 3 hour drive vs. a 2.5 hour drive for a full charge on the aux battery? Just talking high level because I know it depends on many factors. Just wondering if we are saying the aux battery will only be getting 50% of the charge or ??

I guess I always assumed that one the main battery was at 100% then 100% of the available charging got directed to the aux battery...
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

To know you need to see what current it's consuming.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
To know you need to see what current it's consuming.
I figured you might be able to offer some Dave style hypothesizing

Figure 2 identical batteries. 1 is the starting battery only and near full charge after driving to camp. The aux battery is down to 50% after a couple days of heavy use camping.

A stock alternator would be able to recharge the aux battery in a certain amount of time (with some caveats) if you were to take your approach and swap the aux battery in as the starting battery while driving (i.e. no dual battery setup).

But, with say the IBS system, would it take 2, 3, 4, 5 times as long to get the aux battery charged up?

As you mentioned, if you deplete the aux battery it is going to take some time to charge it back up and it will be longer than a short drive to the next camp even if the aux battery were getting the full charge.

Here is the IBS manufacturer's website:

http://ibs-tech.ch/en.html

IBS Dual Battery System FAQs

Data Sheet

And I found this in there under the rumors section:

Quote:
The alternator only sees the well charged starter battery and does not properly charge the discharged auxiliary battery?
The alternator is a constant voltage charging device with temperature compensation and delivers up to its maximum rating charge current. The IBS Dual Battery System links the batteries as soon the charge voltage exceeds 13.1V this happens within a few seconds up to 3 minutes depending on the car. When the batteries are linked, the current flows according to the internal resistance of the batteries. The starter battery, in most cases, only takes a little current and the rest of the alternator capacity is available to recharge the auxiliary battery and to run auxiliary electrics and electronics.
TLCA #17037

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

Old 03-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Manual link will allow you to pull from the main without turning the truck on, but only for a couple minutes then it switches back. I suspect that's a feature not a defect, but can be annoying since the thing beeps incessantly when there's a low voltage condition- on the cheaper Hellroaring you can flip a toggle switch to run your main battery down too, but I haven't found that option yet on the ibs, without running back to push the button every 5 minutes.
Tim,

I found this on IBS' site:

Quote:
Manual Battery "link"
In an emergency situation (defective or empty Main Battery) or in case of higher power consumption the two batteries (Main & Aux) may be connected together by activating the link button (red LED manually linked is on) After a laps of time of 30 minutes (or immediately after activating the auto button), the system returns to the automatic mode. When using an electric winch, the battery connection can be activated for 180 minutes by pressing twice the link button. In this mode sounds every 30 seconds a Beep to remind this status (Auto return after time expired). The load sharing function with the manual battery connection reduces the load on the alternator, the wiring and the batteries in the use of the winch.
Seems like the "link" should be for 30 or 180 mins depending on selection and the beep is a reminder.
TLCA #17037

:

Old 03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Tim,

I found this on IBS' site:

Seems like the "link" should be for 30 or 180 mins depending on selection and the beep is a reminder.
Interesting, thanks. 30 minutes seems like longer than my experience, it felt like more every 5-10 minutes.. was camping and at the time had the fridge hooked up to the starting battery, was listening to the radio too. But all evening long had to go back to push the link button, to make the beeping stop. I didn't know about the 180 minute option, but a beep every 30 seconds to remind me? geez that's worse than one every 30 minutes...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
But, with say the IBS system, would it take 2, 3, 4, 5 times as long to get the aux battery charged up?
Assuming the main battery was in good shape, it would not take significantly longer to charge in the IBS type system than if you had no system and just physically swapped main and aux, but with an exception to consider...

First off, it might actually take less time if it was deeply discharged to bring the aux back up in the IBS system because it would draw current from the main battery as they equalized. But this is the caveat that allowing the batteries to be parallel means you will equalize the two by drawing down the good one to the bad one. A true isolator would only let charge current flow one direction.

You might have to keep the batteries separate until you have a chance to keep the alternator at a sustained higher RPM. If you do multiple days of crawling with lots of stops and idling, you could end up with two partially discharged batteries if they are linked.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I'm starting to think this system is a lot of gimmick with very little function. In my opinion it's just not worth 400+ for something that can be done for $50, with less hassle, less parts to fail and better components. I'm delaying my install to consider just selling the IBS and doing an old fashioned dual battery set up without the useless blinking lights and sounds.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW