Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Hey Bill, I didn't know you were on North Turkey Creek! I thought you lived in Littleton? I work on South Turkey Creek, between Hilldale Pines and the Firehouse. I drive past N Turkey Creek (West Ranch end) every day.

We just got another 'bot call from Jeffco reminding us to be ready to evac at a moment's notice. The 2 blackhawks flew over work again this morning, and a few minutes ago a single blackhawk flew by also headed toward the fire. Where I work is about a mile north from the blue mandatory evac line on the jeffco map.

The winds have been pretty calm here today, so hopefully they can pursue the strategy they announced this morning, which is to shift from a defensive posture of only protecting lives and property, to an attack posture of creating fire lines around the perimeter and establishing containment.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it.
x2 - shout out if anyone needs anything
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzeppa View Post
Hey Bill, I didn't know you were on North Turkey Creek! I thought you lived in Littleton? I work on South Turkey Creek, between Hilldale Pines and the Firehouse. I drive past N Turkey Creek (West Ranch end) every day.

We just got another 'bot call from Jeffco reminding us to be ready to evac at a moment's notice. The 2 blackhawks flew over work again this morning, and a few minutes ago a single blackhawk flew by also headed toward the fire. Where I work is about a mile north from the blue mandatory evac line on the jeffco map.

The winds have been pretty calm here today, so hopefully they can pursue the strategy they announced this morning, which is to shift from a defensive posture of only protecting lives and property, to an attack posture of creating fire lines around the perimeter and establishing containment.
Yep, we are at the top of N. Turkey Creek, about two miles east of Hwy 73. About 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the evac perimeter, about 7-8 miles from the active fire. Thank God for a calm day! One day of winds like Monday's and the used dog food would hit the reciprocating atmospheric movement device for sure. I know Monday we could see the massive plume right on the other side of Doubleheader, which is right at the head of our valley.

Saw the two Blackhawks this morning. Have heard but not seen the air tankers... smoke is laying down, though they say 0% containment it looks good. As long as the wind stays calm...

Got all the duff mowed a couple hundred yards away from the house, and Lise filled, almost singlehandedly, 20 55 gal. bags of pine needles and other duff. That girl ain't afraid of work... I know she works harder than I do, for less, at her day job teaching.

They are starting the search for the missing woman. Starting at her last known location, at her home. Which was destroyed by the fire.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Bill, are you past Danks drive?

We had 3 blackhawks fly over us this morning, followed by 2 smaller choppers (spotters maybe?) then 2 more blackhawks several minutes later. Man them things are loud! We are still on pre-evac orders, we got another 'bot call from the sheriff yesterday.

15% containment is a good way to start the morning!

Our UPS driver told us yesterday that he knows the woman they are looking for. He said she has been battling cancer and that she is very weak. He doubts she made it out.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

I'm ON Danks. That's the valley anyway.

Pix of the Blackhawks fighting the fire:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conatio...7629692849721/

I shuddered when viewing the burned out homes, including the one the couple died in. Did more reading, they were elderly but not any dementia, they were active in their church, very familiar with living in the forest, and they had a full fire retardant system for the home exterior. Even looked like they had a decent fire break. They called their church requesting prayer because "they had a little fire". About that time of day, it WAS little, like, 5-10 acres.

Turns out a patrol group from the Colorado State Forestry observed embers blowing from the 'controlled' burn area to unburned forest Monday before the blowup. Yet the director of the CSFS denied they caused it. Until he apologized.

That thing blew up so fast the Lucases didn't have time to get out... I bet Sam Lucas was outside spraying down his house with retardant when he was overcome. His pickup was in the driveway where they found it half melted.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Yeah, they said the crew there monitoring it was in a fire truck. The ember blew across the road and next thing they knew the crew was on the horn requesting help.

I heard that this morning about the Lucas', apparently they had foam retardant for their house and it still burned up. No doubt, the winds were crazy up here Monday.

Those shots of the Blackhawks are sweet. We were speculating that they might be using Strontia Reservoir to fill their buckets.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Rising Sun member

have they filled Strontia back up yet?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Club Treasurer

According to the Colorado National Guard:

"Colorado crews have dropped more than 49,000 gallons of natural fire suppression from the Platte River and Strontia Springs Reservoir."

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
x2 - shout out if anyone needs anything
x3!! I have plenty of room at the shop for vehicles and stuff, and an extra bedroom
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
have they filled Strontia back up yet?
It was never emptied. Lowered a little but nothing major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me