Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > The Bike Forum

Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Default Oh what to wear, what to wear....

How about a clothing thread (yes that was a pun). I am looking for a jacket I could wear to work- saw one today from leatherup that looked pretty good, had elbow pads, light shoulder pads, but didn't look look like a Michael Jackson groupie, or a "biker". Nntawwt... Just not me.

so what jacket do you have, that is good for around town riding, that you also think looks decent? Links and pictures encouraged.

Edit: I think it was this one http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...ket/53292.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

I've crashed and ridden in leather, various fabric purpose built jackets, and tee shirt and jeans all at more than posted speed limits and have to say leather works well, but if I had the cash I'd get aero-stitch.

check them out:

http://www.aerostich.com/darien-jacket.html

They will even rebuild them after you crash on them.

They are available used for much less if you look.

They work in the rain (not much of a concern here) and aren't heavy like good leather can get. the pads they have are comfy too. you'll own it for ever.

I use that old leather jacket you saw the other day and it has worked well. I have gone down a few times in it and it still doesn't look too bad. I like leather a lot also, but it gets soggy when it rains, and can be friggin hot in the summer. I could never afford or justify the nicer aero stitch stuff.
82 FJ40
Old 03-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Hard Core 4+

This is a very personal choice. HOWEVER, the best shop in town for this, is performance cycle on broadway. Huge selection, and local family owned and worked. I can't say enough good things about them.

I have a fieldsheer ce rated waterproof textile suit (2piece), a firstgesh mesh for low speed stuff in the summer, a alpinestars moto gp leather track suit, and a corrazzo shop coat with ce armour.

Bill has a great over the but expedition/dual sport gear set that is very cool, but I don't have that need. I know he commutes in it, but I don't know how hot it gets. IF you are commuting, its sitting in the sun that kills you, as even non-perforated leather is ok if you are moving.

Fieldsheer and FirstGear make great quality, entry level and higher stuff. Jackets are one thing, unlike helmets, where money doesn't always equal quality. Whatever you do, thing about water. I know it doesn't rain much, but I can tell you, it sucks and blows to be stuck in a downpour from colorado springs to denver. You need all your focus when it's wet, and being dry really does help that.

j

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, I have something similar to that. I wear it for some long distance, but don't care for it really. If it starts to rain it is really really cold. For trail riding I have a Shift plastic moto roost guard. I like the protection. The Jacket feels naked on the trail, like if I fell off I would break a rib. I would get a coat that is more substantial for commuting, and moto-gear for off-road.

Most importantly, buy good boots.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Here is what I like.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I have gear for trail riding- roost guard, elbow pads, knee pads, boots, helmet, pants.. my thought now though is more for commuting, and that quick spin to the store or whatever- what can I toss on that'll be decent enough for what I see in the city.

Looking at this one:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Moto...el-/56912.html added benefit appears to be I could ride to a paintball game and not even have to change.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have an Aerostich Falstaff that I like a lot. Only drawback is they are pretty hot in the summer. I like that it looks more like a normal jacket than an armored moto-suit.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-s...le-jacket.html

'85 FJ60
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

oh - like farnham said, get good boots. I am a fan of sidi and alpinestars, but for commuting, I don't use dedicated boots. I use a standard low heel full coverage boot for commuting. don't forget rubber soles if you go street wear. I like this, as if it's colder, or I am on the freeway, I can wear the full suit over my dress clothes.

Sidi makes some real nice tourning boots, but unless your willing to haul all your street gear separate boots can be a pain. If you buy separate touring/street boots, only get waterproof ones. ask me how I know.

Since we are close to the same size, you're more than welcome to borrow my textile suit to see how you like it. Aerostitch stuff is good for adv.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY OVER THE NET - this gear is heavy, binding and terribly uncomfortable if you guess wrong. try and buy local man..

john (johnny) henley
Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU DON'T BUY OVER THE NET - this gear is heavy, binding and terribly uncomfortable if you guess wrong. try and buy local man..
have to agree here, I almost bought MX boots over the net until I went to try some on at a shop...holy cats it took me about 14 different pair before I found a pair that is actually comfortable! I buy jerseys, gloves and pants (for MX) over the net and thats it. The rest you have to try on first.

Performance on Broadway and Evans has a decent selection of stuff to try, at least get a feel for something.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have the Olympia X Moto jacket/pants as well as the Revit Cayenne Pro Jacket/pants. I like the Revit set for short trips/commuting in cool/wet weather because it fits me better and is lighter/more comfortable. I like the X Moto set for long multi-day trips.